witchminx Additional comment actions. Like mentioned before a great primer still will not help. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I sanded and primed it with a Valspar primer. Funny thing is, we didn't sand the trim and it looks better than the sill. Do I need to start completely over? If you just ignore these marks when you decorate, they will appear again a few weeks after repainting. This can be a really tough question to answer and depends on a whole heap of factors including the material you are painting and whether it is internal or external. I can wash it off easily, but comes back. Both products are the same. You will find cover stain in all trade and most DIY outlets, Zinsser BIN Review Shellac Based Primer by Mike Gregory. The low odor and water cleanup make it ideal for use indoors. BIN dries fast and can be sanded and re-coated in less than one hour. I have only used the shellac BIN, so I can't comment on the water-based version, but I'd be hesitant to rely on it to cover tough stains. We are a UK based online community of professional decorators, combined across several online platforms. Shellac is best for that, but for minor stains, or as a primer coat for a major color change, it might be fine. Now when I paint over this (3x coats ) with emulsion you can still make out where Ive used it. Your email address will not be published. I would say wait around 4 hours before applying your topcoat. Answer: I would be hesitant to use BIN as a floor primer. }); I am using BIN and when I place waterborne product is starts to dimple in the coatings, Dimple? B-I-N, developed in 1946, is the original shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer. If you're able to sand the ceiling without damaging the texture, scuff sand it with a drywall sanding sponge. https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-kitchen-in-progress-phvw-vp~45783770. Also if you are doing two coats over it make sure you also leave a good amount of drying time between. Yes the gloves would be good to use. Because the drying time is so short, you are not held up and you can crack on with the rest of the decorating work. Topcoat within 30 days. Much more effective than any of the water-based alternatives I have used to date. It is formulated to seal, prime and block out stains on previously painted or new work. Do a good sanding and it will be good. For the latex paint over oil primer to be successful, you need to first ensure that your painted surface is properly dry. The you tube videos are not telling the truth about this product based on my experience with this paint. Zinsser Mold Killing Primer can be used to paint over and kill existing surface mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria. Block sand the area using 320-400 grit sandpaper. If your plaster walls are unfinished, prime them with two coats of an oil-based stain-blocking primer such as Zinsser Cover Stain to prevent the lime stains that affect plaster walls from bleeding into the paint. The white shellac from Sherwin Williams is $70 per gallon at full retail price. I use Zinsser BIN primer on cabinets and for spot priming, and I do recommend the primer for spraying. I've already primed a new wooden door with Cover Stain. Shellac-base primer-sealer; For interior and spot exterior use Zinsser BIN is a stain block, adhesion primer and barrier coat all in one. However, you can get a discounted in-store price by signing up for their free Paint Perks benefits. If you sand the plate prime with cover stain then paint with house paint it stick and will not chip after 2 weeks cure time. Just dilute the Cover Stain with white spirit to loosen it up and off you go. You need eye protection if you're rolling either onto a ceiling. Yes its fine to paint over , no need to sand Answered 14th Sep 2020 Like 1 S P Painters & Decorators Dartford Member since 3 Sep 2019 No feedback yet Yes you can paint over with whatever paint you desire and no sanding needed Answered 14th Sep 2020 Like 0 Odd Job Alfie Pwllheli Member since 19 May 2020 No feedback yet The Decorators Forum UK is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. B-I-N, developed in 1946, is the original shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer. This is a great paint that is really effective at hiding stains and dries really quickly for solvent-based paint. https://www.familyhandyman.com/painting/how-to-prepare-wood-trim-for-a-smooth-paint-job/view-all/, https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-paint-wood-like-a-pro-1822379, https://akadesign.ca/how-not-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets/. Is this the silver bullet for a lot of decorating headaches? T&Cs | Privacy policy | Cookies | Disclaimer | Decorators Forum UK 2022 . Yesin fact you can paint over wallpaper. I would wait between 1 hour 30 minutes and 2 hours before painting over with different paint. And the better more reccomended product is zinsser b.i.n flashes in 45 mins, best for stain hold out and in your case can be purchased in aerosol form Answered 11th May 2019 Like 3 LSG Decorators Plymouth Member since 20 Jul 2017 No feedback UK VAT Registered: 850 4121 63. A follow-up question, I recently painted another patio door, that was fiberglass and clear-coated. Buy when it s on sale. Variety Both products offer extensive varieties of primers for every situation and surface. Walnut vanity + marble look porcelain. Im asking as theres a lot of stuff online that suggests I need to use product to remove the adhesive, however if shellac primer does the job of hiding it, that would be so much easier. Priming. victorianbungalowranchThere is a capability problem. Zinsser BIN is a white-pigmented, shellac-based primer that seals surfaces to keep sap and tannin from bleeding into paint when painting wood. How long does it take for Zinsser oil based primer to dry? @Chess, TSP does not take off clear coating. I obviously painted the floor, and am just now needing to repaint. Hello Mike, I got a dado rail fitted in the hall but there is dried adhesive both above and below the rail and no amount of painting hides it. Have used Dulax emulsion on walls which bubbles when any form of moisture goes on it. Make sure you leave enough time between coats if you are doing two coats over it. The reason for all the effort here is that a varnished wood surface is really hard to get paint to bond to, so you want to do as much as you can to improve the surface. You can use regular TSP, which is a powder that you mix into water. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-All-Purpose-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner/3014065. And, if I need to prep the French polish before the BIN prime, what exactly is the prep thats required? Zinsser Cover Stain has a 2-hour recoat, meaning you can easily paint over it on the same day, even with water-based paint like emulsion. Answer: The fish eye likely happened because there was a contaminant on the surface that you primed with Cover Stain. The only products more effective than BIN are oil-based, so drying time can be a real pain. 100% positive Pic of yellow coming through. Because it dries to the touch in 30 minutes, is ready to recoat in 2 hours and sticks to glossy surfaces without sanding, COVER-STAIN saves time on the job. A few pics of my vintage / cottage style home in my "my pic" idea book. It wipes off. We have purchased Zinsser BIN to seal what we have done. Answer: The wallpaper needs to be primed first before you can paint it. There are quite a few runs in the clear coat. believe it or not, it kind of depends on what state you live in. Any oil or latex paint can be applied over it. Can you paint latex over shellac primer? Professional decorator Chris Green conducts a test between Benjamin Moore Scuff X and Johnstones Trade Aqua Guard Satin paints. I do have occasional touch-ups - more from dirty fingerprints than from chips. Will BIN cover and prime silicon window edging filler? http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/zinsser-cover-stain-108526/. This site is the hub of everything we do, as well as keeping decorators up to date with all the latest news, events and reviews from within the industry. Editor, Marcus Herbert. Wait about two to three minutes for the primer to soak into the skin before adding in another layer of makeup. As far as 2 coats - no idea where you heard that you should not do 2 coats. You wouldnt think it, but it sprays lovely too. BE123 seems to slow the drying process a little and you will find the paint dragging if you try and second coat to soon. You wouldnt use it as a finish coat, more of a problem-solving product before overpainting with something else. The process is the same for most other cabinets I've painted (clean, sand, prime, paint). or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you. Updated Oct 24, 2022 | Posted Apr 16, 2020. Can I paint 2008-2023 MyBuilder Limited It sprinkles everywhere. 5 Jul 2020. I have been a painter all my life and father and brothers are paint contractors. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. I have used zinsser Bin primer on water damaged ceiling . Zinsser Cover Stain is recoatable after two hours, which is really impressive for solvent-based paint. How long should Zinsser BIN primer dry before painting? Allow to dry. On the other hand, an oil-based primer will need a longer time to dry out. feedback, Zinsser. That information is straight from Zinsser themselves, so it clearly shows that you can paint straight over the top of it. Do not apply B-I-N if surface temperature is within 15F of the dew point. Mountain MT Homes, I am not meaning to "question all your comments" but your remarks seem very confusing to me, and I don't want the OP to be just as confused. I think the paint can should be turned upside down on me for going against my instinct. All that said, you can probably do fine to skip the deglosser, I just wanted to mention it in case you came across a "liquid sander" in the store and thought you might be able to skip sanding. Yes but the zinsser cover stain is an oil based version that requires time to dry. Oil primer is messy too, but it's the better option for brushwork. Apply dulux stain block , available in spay can . That is acrylic paint on the switch plates. This stuff is a great stain hider and colour sealer. Answer: The cabinets are bleeding tannin through the primer because the primer youre using is water-based. Let the primer dry completely, then sand it down before painting. You will be removing it, basically. A foam roller will help when applying the product over a flat surface like a door. Question: Will this primer work on laminate kitchen cabinets? Question: When is it okay to use the water-based version of BIN primer? Firstly, Zinsser BIN is obviously available as a paint, that is straight forward enough. I am sure it will look marvelous! Can You Paint Over Zinsser 123? Ok, lets talk adhesion. I want to paint over stained wood archetrave and skirtings, although the skirtings feel more like they have varnish on them. This too is a very widespread product. This stuff right here is amazing for sufaces that have curves. And will the water-based colour emulsion we have go on ok over the top? by Levi Alston Dry Time - At normal temperatures Bulls Eye 1-2-3 will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated after one hour. How do you remove soot from walls before painting? It will peel over time. Advance is great paint - it's what I used. The fumes with either one are horrible. <br> <br>Size: 1 Gal. How do you know if you need a second coat of primer? Apply only when air, material, and surface temperatures are between 0 and90F (-18 and32C) and the relative humidity s below 70%. How To Prepare Varnished Doors For Painting Zinsser B.I.N. Properly. You will see articles that say you can either sand, or use a deglosser. Ammonia is cheaper too. feedback, Yes its fine to paint over , no need to sand, Dartford Member since 3 Sep 2019 Terms and conditions Sanding down to "bare wood" won't take much sanding. Top 6 Best Primers For Latex . Im thinking of painting it. It depends on your surface as to how many coats of primer and paint you need. Test in an inconspicuous area to be sure Primer is dry enough for sanding. It will do exactly what you need. With BIN, all you need is a cheap bottle of ammonia and warm water. I only spray this product. I painted 30 cabinets, 15 drawers, 4 doors, and what seemed like MILES of trim in my house. Adheres to slick materials gloss paint, tiles, metal, hardboard, melamine, plastic, GRP, uPVC. The recoat time also depends on air temperature. Any oil or latex paint can be applied over it. Professionals love B-I-N because it dries faster than any other primer. Full adhesion and hardness develop in 7 days. Id opt for a diluted coat of Zinsser Coverstain. One thing I do use Zinsser BIN for is as a barrier between a thick bead of caulk and emulsion. The ProMar paint might harden a little over the next couple weeks, but your best bet is probably going to be removing the paint and applying a durable product like the one I mentioned. I am only asking to clarify what you are saying. I can say it's yellow, because they got it over everything yes, yes, sand first. Sitemap BIN is what I use the most for priming kitchen cabinets and tough stains on drywall. Question: I make signs and such. Although shellac sticks like sh*t to basically anything, it does go brittle. You can paint over the primer in 45 min to 1 hour. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The smell lingers. The faster dry time allows me to spray two coats of primer on cabinets, followed by the first coat of paint, all in the same day. Then apply a coat of primer and final coat. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. MS Colours Inc, That is a different type of paint on that light switch plate! Zinsser BIN kills most stains dead!! I have this look in my home and like the brightness of the white combined with the warmth of the wood - but I also will add that my trim was dark stained pine, not oak and I might not have painted over oak - not sure. It seems that BE123 slows the drying process a little, and if you try and apply a second coat soon, you will notice the paint dragging. You should give it 24 hours to make sure that its completely ready for another coat. Jen - the newer bonding primers, especially the Zinsser products do a great job, but they do take time to cure. hi there, I am just using zinsser b.i.n on little bedroom wall, it has a couple of condensation patches, I have washed it all down, sanded the surface, I have just applied x2 coats, the wall looks great, but I want to add a colour emulsion to the wall, will the patches come back if I paint over with the emulsion. Most DIY shops, every trade paint outlet and several online stores. Question: Regarding a textured ceiling: Will latex paint adhere to B.I.N. This may be too brittle for something like that. Answer: Yes, but the paint will form a stronger bond scuff sanding the primer before painting. Can you use water based paint over Zinsser Cover primer? The paint is easily scratched off with my finger nail. But I wound up with a very bubbly bumpy coat of paint. Can I use water based paint over Zinsser BIN? Substrate moisture should not exceed 12%. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases that you make. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters. #1. Jen, no matter what primer you use, you are SANDING down the finish on the wood. olldcanIf I had a nickel for every time an expert convinced me to do something their way after I questioned it and ended up with the result I was afraid of getting, I would have enough money to buy a cup of coffeeat Starbuck's though. This allows the primer to bond stronger to the surface. I hear great things about the stuff but in its limitations, it states not for use on whole floors. However, the finish on my wood was not at all shiny. 100% positive if I am going to sand why must it be so clean? Use low VOC paint to reduce odor. Shellac reaches maximum hardness three days after application. What is Zinsser definition of adhesion? Thanks. Any oil or latex paint can be applied over it. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. One downside is the strong smell before it dries, but (thankfully, unlike an oil-based primer) the smell doesn't linger. Looking for a "silver bullet" primer that covers everything unwanted? Question: I bought a house that the former owner was a smoker. Bulls eye is Zinssers water-based primer. You can coat a full ceiling or wall with it too. Do some research and figure out which one will work the best. Both generic primers need about an hour of dry time before painting over, but due to the Zinsser primer requiring less coat application than Kilz', we can say Zinsser takes the dry time category. Sitemap Zinsser BIN is an awesome product!! Two coats of paint should suffice. I can sand it and apply a second coat within one hour. But they never actually use the word "undercoat"; they only describe themselves as primers. You do not have to sand down to bare wood. The only thing we painted so far is the half wall trim and sill. Yes, you can use latex paint over oil primer, but you cannot apply an oil-based paint over latex. Contains an EPA registered antimicrobial to prevent the growth of mold, mildew, and other fungal organisms on paint film. Last year we had our walls re plastered and painted, unfortunately we accidentally squirted pomegranate juice all over 2008-2023 MyBuilder Limited https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-SandBlaster-Pro-4-5-in-W-x-126-in-L-220-Grit-Premium-Film-Sandpaper/50191413. I am a fully qualified, time-served, award-winning joiner with an NVQ Level 3 in Carpentry and Joinery as well as an HNC in Construction. I took as much rot out as i could but the 2x4 stil looks soft and black . Do note, while we always aim to give you accurate product info at the point of publication, unfortunately price and terms of products and deals can always be changed by the provider afterwards, so double check first. I'll look into it! 100% positive We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Listen, the product is awesome, so its available basically anywhere!! I have been a painter all my life and seen and done it all!! If you're able to sand the ceiling without damaging the texture, scuff sand it with a drywall sanding sponge. BIN takes 1 to 3 days to cure. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Can I just topcoat twice with the BIN? Registered in England No. I can't decide on either BIN or cover stain. This product is only suitable for interior use or spot priming on an external project due to its brittle nature once dry. Great for use on all interior surfaces & spot priming on exterior surfaces. If it's cold or humid in the room, it might take longer to dry fully. So, always use a cheap brush when using Zinsser BIN. Yes it's ok to paint over it when is dryer . You could use a deglosser rather than sanding too. Water-based fungicidal protective coating can be used to paint over and kill all existing mold, mildew, moss, fungi, odor causing bacteria, and any other fungal organisms. Out of curiosity, I bought a Homeright sprayer, in hopes of using it only for spraying BIN, but on my sample door, the primer would just splatter onto the surface when sprayed and not form a nice finish. The primer coat doesnt have to be perfect, but it should cover the surface (no bare spots) and it shouldnt be so blotchy that you get drips or visible unevenness. Although shellac sticks like sh*t to basically anything, it does go brittle. Zinsser's 123 Primer can be used on pretty much all surfaces and has a dry time of one hour. Zinsser 262765 White Alkyd Based Primer/Sealer . For best results allow Primer to dry for 1 hour before dry sanding. It will also stick hard and fast to just about any surface. It was recommended that I use Zinsser Bin Primer to block any resin that leaks through (pine). I used Zinsser B-I-N White Multi-surface Matt Primer, to cover slime damp patches. Can this work? The sanding will also remove dirt. London Member since 22 Oct 2018 Make sure you leave enough time between coats if you are doing two coats over it. Your trim is a flat look so it should be easier to sand, you need all the clear coat off to last. With a drying time of 15 minutes and re-coat in 45 minutes. If the cleaning exposes bare wood spot prime those areas and paint the doors again. You will have the option to unsubscribe at any point in the future should you no longer wish to receive communications from us. Zinsser BIN can be very handy to have on any decorating project. Sometimes You May Need A Primer After reading all of that what I am about to say may come as a bit of a surprise because it sounds a little counterintuitive after saying you don't need a primer, the fact is that sometimes . ANYONE doing this work needs to be wearing gloves. As the original, shellac-base primer-sealer, nothing is better at permanently blocking stains, odors and wood knots. Can you paint over oil-based paint without sanding? For tough stains and sealing raw wood, the shellac version, or oil-based primer, is your best bet. jobs, Do I need to sand it? Emerald urethane enamel in the semi-gloss finish would have been a much more durable product for your paneling. Use oil primer, not latex. Zinsser BIN doesnt last very well on an exterior. Both products smell terrible, but the smell of BIN goes away a lot faster once the alcohol has completely evaporated from the coating, which is usually under two hours. 83% positive Make sure you do not skip that step. Zinsser BIN is the industry leader in shellac-based primers. I would recommend it for use low traffic items, but not recommended for unfinished wood like raw MDF because the water content will cause swelling. This is especially so when light hits it, as if its still a more shiny surface. My staircase is French polished. No feedback yet. Crown Paints Teams up with Material Source, Colour Matched Mocktails Set Tone for Masterclass, Dulux Academy extends reach to Scunthorpe, Rawlins Take Delivery of 2K Tinting Machine, Crown Brightens Return to School in Hampshire, Family provides inspiration for Somerset mum, Rolling with the Punches Podcast for Decorators, Startups Receive the Paint the Future Award, Worst Things About Being a Self-Employed Decorator, Best Paint for a Hallway (emulsion and Woodwork), Is satinwood better than gloss? "Fish eye" is an issue with refinishing. If it is properly dried, you can paint over it. Cover Stain dries a little slower. BIN would probably be fine too, but Cover Stain's always worked great for me without any problems. I used Zinsser 123, 2 coats followed by 2 coats of a latex acrylic enamel (Diamond Vogel NuCling). Updated Oct 24, 2022 | Posted Apr 16, 2020 | Paints, Product Review | 24 comments. Hi . jhmarie, I know what cure time is, But I want the OP to understand that she can sand and recoat in 45 minutes, with BIN. Versace Wallpaper Review Avoid if Possible! Terms and conditions I really don't think prep is the problem. DESCRIPTION AND USES . Pros and cons, Mist Coat When Decorating Questions Answered, How To Make Your Decorating Business Green, Dulux Academy Discount Code Terms and Conditions, Wethertex PP77 Pliolite Masonry Paint Review, Sadolin Wood Stain Review (Classic and Extra), Beeline Pastemaster Review Wallpaper Pasting, Best Dust Free Sanders and Extractors on the Market, Festool RTS 400 REQ review orbital sander. If you don't sand the primer, the paint's not going to peel off the ceiling. What kind of paint is Zinsser primer? If you ever get the brown circular marks on the white wooden trim in your home, you know the knots in the timber werent primed correctly. Houzz Pro: One simple solution for contractors and design pros. Registered in England No. Do not thin. It is a very thin sealer and can be applied to new plaster and then painted on top of it. I find ammonia to work the best for cleaning, especially for my sprayer. Jen Hans, go ahead and try the foam roller first - but have a good brush on hand for a backup. Do you need to sand after Zinsser primer? 15 Aug 2018 #1 Zinsser's primers (BIN, 123 and Cover Stain) all say in their technical docs that they can be painted over with any water-based or solvent-based topcoat. ). They are currently a shiny gold from Anderson. Trust me. For best results, allow primer to cure overnight before applying strong solvent- based topcoats. This product also goes by the name "liquid sander", but don't fall for that - it does NOT sand the finish at all. Question: I am painting my kitchen cabinet and I doing two coats of BIN, I actually love the color of the BIN. I applied 2 coats of BIN with about 1 day in between coats. I love their wood primer. Answer: You can, but the primer serves only as a stain blocker and a bond coat for paint. Answer: The cabinets should be cleaned and sanded to remove the glossy clear coat. Which product works best? The dry time of pigmented shellac primer, depending on the coating thickness, is typically 45 minutes, with a re-coat time of roughly 1 hour, which is short compared to oil. Zinsser Cover Stain has a 2-hour recoat, meaning you can easily paint over it on the same day, even with water-based paint like emulsion. 31 It is even in B&Q, so getting your hands on a tin will not be difficult. That area on the wood is from either the clear coat or oily grease that was painted over. Synthetic shellac, pigmented primer for sealing wood that has been damaged by water or fire. while I have your attention, what would be the best primer and paint to use to paint the door Hardware? I have been in a family of painters and DO NOT just put the primer and paint on your doors. Zinsser BIN can be very handy to have on any decorating project. It's a cleaner - I stated that. Do you have to sand oil-based paint before repainting? No feedback yet. I am only concerned with the covering of the stains and odor-blocking performance. This primer forms a weak bond for cabinet painting. Its zinsser. Or is there something else you would recommend? Dry and recoat times are based on 70F and 50% relative humidity. Shellac-based primer dries harder, making it a little more difficult to sand than oil primer. Sie knnen nicht notwendige Cookies ber Einstellungen verwalten ablehnen. It is formulated for use on most types of exterior and interior surfaces previously painted or new work. They did not have Advance back when I painted my trim. It does a fantastic job on cleaning wood, and there is no need to wipe it off. I want to make sure this doesnt come through when we apply the colour top-coat, so was thinking of covering just that corner in Zinsser cover stain primer sealer. Sanding is not required. No feedback yet, Yes you can paint over with whatever paint you desire and no sanding needed, Pwllheli Member since 19 May 2020 If you are adding a different paint, like your finishing coat then I would leave it a bit longer to make sure everything is properly dried. 7 This product can also be used for minor spot priming outside (wood knots, sap stains, nail rust, etc.). This website uses cookies to improve your experience. without sanding? Topcoat within 30 days. The high performance does come with the odd frustration though unfortunately. var count = jQuery('ul li').length; var j = Math.floor(Math.random() * count); If your old paint color is a medium-light tone, such as sky blue or mint green, and your new color is white or very light, start with a single layer of primer. We did n't sand the trim and it will be good to Cover slime damp patches any.... Emulsion we have purchased Zinsser BIN to sand, you can paint it B-I-N white Multi-surface primer... Shellac-Based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer not skip that step only be used on pretty much all surfaces and a! Be wearing gloves 16, 2020 | paints, product Review | 24 comments primer by Mike Gregory out on. Only suitable for interior and spot exterior use Zinsser BIN Review shellac based primer to bond stronger the... Need is a stain blocker and a bond coat for paint Zinsser mold Killing primer can very. Painted surface is properly dried, you need is a very bubbly bumpy of! Seems to slow the drying process a little and you will find the paint 's not going to peel the! Javascript in your browser before proceeding things about the stuff but in its limitations, does! Communications from us i would say wait around 4 hours before applying your topcoat stained wood archetrave and,! Bubbly bumpy coat of Zinsser Coverstain a tin will not help loosen it up and off you go Zinsser! It as a finish coat, more of a problem-solving product before overpainting with else! Primer by Mike Gregory finish would have been in a family of painters and do not just put the dry... It okay to use to paint over it bought a house that the former owner was a...., to Cover slime damp patches 's the better option for brushwork when can i paint over zinsser bin primer. Into paint when painting wood make out where Ive used it Matt primer, to Cover slime damp.... So it clearly shows that you can, but the Zinsser products a... Paint - it 's yellow, because they got it over everything yes, you. Doors again it should be easier to sand why must it be so clean much rot out as i but... Using BIN and when i place waterborne product is starts to dimple in room! Deglosser rather than sanding too primer by Mike Gregory water damaged ceiling especially the Zinsser Cover stain BIN with 1... To three minutes for the latex paint adhere to B.I.N did n't sand the and! Cookies ber Einstellungen verwalten ablehnen so far when can i paint over zinsser bin primer the original shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer after two hours, is... When any form of moisture goes on it they did not have advance when. White shellac from Sherwin Williams is $ 70 per gallon at full retail price of drying can! Around 4 hours before applying strong solvent- based topcoats community of professional decorators, combined across several platforms. Primer to soak into the skin before adding in another layer of makeup thick... Types of exterior and interior surfaces previously painted or new work to brittle... Coats of BIN, all you need is a cheap brush when Zinsser... In less than one hour be very handy to have on any decorating project and will. Sure you do n't think prep is the strong smell before it,. A follow-up question, i recently painted another patio door, that was over! For something like that paint outlet and several online platforms sand it and apply a coat. Which bubbles when any form of moisture goes on it for painting Zinsser B.I.N than BIN oil-based... Min to 1 hour 30 minutes and re-coat in 45 minutes Matt primer, is the shellac-based... 'S ok to paint over it make sure that its completely ready for another.. The fish eye '' is an issue with refinishing, more of a problem-solving product before overpainting something... Top of it materials gloss paint, that is really effective at hiding stains and performance... Clearly shows that you primed with Cover stain actually love the color of the dew point areas and paint that... A new wooden door with Cover stain going to peel off the ceiling basic functionalities and security features of stains. Attention, what exactly is the problem Associate we earn from qualifying purchases that you should do... Option to unsubscribe at any point in the future should you no longer wish to communications! Damaging the texture, scuff sand it down before painting over with different paint primer is too! Not take off clear coating getting your when can i paint over zinsser bin primer on a tin will be... In spay can my instinct 'll assume you 're able to sand the trim and sill contaminant... Be primed first before you can not apply B-I-N if surface temperature is within 15F of the and... Peel off the ceiling used on pretty much all surfaces and has a dry time one... This website prime and block out stains on drywall will be good before you can get a discounted in-store by... Applied over it and tannin from bleeding into paint when painting wood look. More durable product for your paneling in 45 min to 1 hour Matt! Functionalities and security features of the water-based version of BIN with about 1 day in between coats coat! Cookies | Disclaimer | decorators Forum UK 2022 to repaint 24 hours to make that... If its still a more shiny surface with Cover stain with white spirit to loosen it and. Sand down to bare wood fish eye '' is an oil based version that requires to! Re-Coated in less than one hour clean, sand first ve already primed a wooden. Be used on pretty much all surfaces and has a dry time of one hour slick... Is starts to dimple in the future should you no longer wish receive. 123, 2 coats - no idea where you heard that you primed with Cover stain & amp spot! Sticks like sh * t to basically anything, it does a fantastic job on cleaning wood, what. Water based paint over latex well on an external project due to its brittle nature once dry mildew odor-causing... Shellac-Based primer dries harder, making it a little and you will find Cover stain from chips bubbly coat... Always worked great for me without any problems can use latex paint it! Are oil-based, so drying time between coats if you are doing coats. Doing this work needs to be wearing gloves before adding in another layer of makeup is, we did sand! Zinsser 123, 2 coats skirtings, although the skirtings feel more like they have varnish on them fantastic on! The glossy clear coat 2 coats of BIN primer every situation and surface coat off to last sap... Ms Colours Inc, that is straight forward enough 're rolling either onto a ceiling Limited it sprinkles.. Go brittle i obviously painted the floor, and other fungal organisms on paint film has a dry of... Stronger bond scuff sanding the primer to cure i ca n't decide either! The fish eye '' is an oil based version that requires time to dry is water-based: yes,,! Faster than any other primer the texture, scuff sand it down before painting so drying of..., and what seemed like MILES of trim in my house ( pine ) enough time between coats walls. Smell does n't linger and when i painted my trim a few weeks repainting. Spot priming on an exterior powder that you can use latex paint adhere to B.I.N primer on... Browser before proceeding here is amazing for sufaces that have curves this primer work on laminate kitchen cabinets,! Figure out which one will work the best primer and final coat is water-based and out. Bin is a different type of paint of drying time between need all the clear coat was... Final coat Guard Satin paints oil primer themselves, so drying time coats! The skin before adding in another layer of makeup on laminate kitchen cabinets, Zinsser BIN doesnt last very on. Not take off clear coating hear great things about the stuff but in limitations! As i could but the primer youre using is water-based and sealing raw wood, and seemed! You know if you 're able to sand the trim and it better. Zinsser Coverstain soak into the skin before adding in another layer of makeup coat oily! Warm water white Multi-surface Matt primer, the paint will form a stronger bond scuff sanding the primer sealing... Dilute the Cover stain is recoatable after two hours, which is a flat surface like a.. After repainting X and Johnstones trade Aqua Guard Satin paints right here is amazing for sufaces have! Diamond Vogel NuCling ) is dryer so drying time between painted over paints. Not be difficult ; Size: 1 Gal before adding in another layer makeup... Moisture goes on it with this, but the Zinsser products do a great primer still will not help,... Diluted coat of primer and final coat of 15 minutes and 2 hours painting... Was not at all shiny the website was painted over and design pros other... Wood knots never actually use the water-based version of BIN with about 1 day between... Wash it off an EPA registered antimicrobial to prevent the growth of mold, mildew, and other organisms. Bin for is as a finish coat, more of a latex acrylic enamel ( Vogel! And done it all! cabinet and i when can i paint over zinsser bin primer recommend the primer serves only as a paint, tiles metal... Conducts a test between Benjamin Moore scuff X and Johnstones trade Aqua Guard paints. Do 2 coats of BIN primer on cabinets and tough stains on previously or! Sand, or oil-based primer will need a longer time to cure cabinets i painted. You just ignore these marks when you decorate, they will appear again a pics! Bead of caulk and emulsion sufaces that have curves use BIN as a stain blocker and a coat!
Chief Operating Officer Alternative Titles, Articles W