Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. The right-click behavior differs based on the platform: This can be configured using the terminal.integrated.rightClickBehavior setting. I used this feature as a Work Around in the sense that I can now have one window (the original window) for all the Output / Git / Terminal and create a new Window for the actual code. Try accessing projects with multiple configurations of multiple languages, tooling and frameworks (such as .NET (plus tools and libs) for backend and buisness logic + DB abstractions and Angular/VueJS/React for front-end or some other frameworks). I have 3 monitors and I usually work with 2 files at the same time @steinhh That is nice, but it is not at all what is being described in the OP. Remove terminal instances by hovering a tab and selecting the Trash Can button, selecting a tab item and pressing Delete, using Terminal: Kill the Active Terminal Instance command, or via the right-click context menu. How is it supposed to work? By "electron process" I meant more of a process tree, which would include a single web context accompanied by any number of Node.js processes and some background chromium processes. This is only done when the shell does not support "bracketed paste mode". See the attached gif below. Duplicating a workspace has a really big disadvantage in memory and storage drive usage. @bpasero maybe we should lock this issue for comments, because we're over here arguing about taxi drivers , Sorry if I'm wrong, but there some kind of support for multiple windows: https://www.npmjs.com/package/electron-window-manager. nvm (Node Version Manager) users often see this error for the first time inside VS Code's integrated terminal: This is mostly a macOS problem and does not happen in external terminals. What about https://www.npmjs.com/package/electron-window-manager ?? This requires a bit of rearchitecting the internals of vscode, so let's be patient (or contribute). That means we're realizing a flaw to GitHub's reaction system. Awesome IDE nonetheless I only asked if there are any estimates from people looking after this repo. Quite often with the full Visual Studio I'd drag out a tab to my other monitor so that I could view two code files at once. We are happy to use new awesome IDE, and we are popular, isn't it? and our Seems a new feature has been added to serve as a Work Around for this. I will continue to share support for this feature with thumbs up and rare constructive comments. Notepad++ has this function to float window. (you'll also have to close the tab you dragged from). Movable tabs/panels outside the main window (with the possibility of sticking to the main window) is the core function of every real editor, especially with the current large 4k screens and multi-monitor sets (in case of professional programmers). Really there many people working with two monitors. Nothing wrong with a work around since we don't have a solution. Windows: Copy and drop selection if there is a selection, otherwise paste. I'm sure this issue is on the team's radar (it is the number one requested feature). What is the best way to show one file (with unit test) on the left monitor and the second file on the right monitor? I don't even care about being able to tile them outside the main window, because then I can just use the OS window manager instead. How is it supposed to work? This requires a bit of rearchitecting the internals of vscode, so let's be patient (or contribute). This feature can be disabled with the terminal.integrated.altClickMovesCursor setting. I am not sure why the delay? The terminal.integrated.defaultLocation setting can change the default terminal location to be in either the view or editor areas. Thumbs up are always preferred over the popular method of +1. Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux on your Windows 10 machine. It would a great feature, if the performance doesn't go down because of it. Tabs are not my priority. We're developers, a lot of us would understand a technical reason. This would not be movable outside of that WebView but at least you can freely position it within that. I really hope this won't be implemented, focusing on a single window, streamlined, editing focused UX is a strong advantage of VSCode, not disadvantage. Explorer / search / debug / git / extensions. @kodipe Neat! The workaround (open new window and drag and drop your file from the current workspace/window to the newly opened one) is OK but I have no access to the workspace itself; different settings, no access to other files in the workspace, etc. Sounds great? it seems so obvious as a feature, even in the most minimalistic editor. Like others have said, opening in a new window isn't what were asking for or wanting. This is the most wanted feature ever :dancer: I'm working with 3 monitors, and I need to have this feature, because sometimes in the code I need to see what functions that I need to implement from one file, and I need to open this in a separate window to copy paste what I want instead of splitting the window inside one monitor that can limit the work space area. We figured it's covering the same as another one we already have. "_floating windows option for: @Hypernut I thought the same. This is not a problem on big-size screens but it is definitely a big problem on small screens like laptops. Not having it is a deal breaker. You can do this in Xcode by either tearing a tab off or using File-> New Window. Or is it more about VSCode one project <-> one window design? This discussion is outside the scope of this thread and could be talked about here (hey, actually, it's already everything we said so far! They are an incredible productivity tool that should not be sacrificed at the alter of mobility or hipster lifestyles. Odd that they would ignore the seemingly high demand for this feature. I'm sure this issue is on the team's radar (it is the number one requested feature). Obviously you can work around it by opening specific files in a separate (ctrl + shift + N) Visual Studio Code instance, but it's definitely something that should be addressed as soon as possible. Hooray, we made it to the top 10 (this is actually # 9 now). First thing i noticed missing when switching. The single most useful reason to have multiple windows is to debug across server (node) and client (Angular). This is free software. It provides integration with the editor to support features like links and error detection. This can be disabled with terminal.integrated.enableBell and the duration can be configured with terminal.integrated.bellDuration. This behavior can be changed using the terminal.integrated.splitCwd setting: There are also extensions available that give more options such as Terminal Here. There is certainly ways of communicating between windows, even if they live in separate processes. Perhaps bade it upon that? Remove every plugins and just give one code window? - leaf_yakitori. It's fundamental to multi-monitor coding. or mute the thread Thanks @RoyTinker. It's a shame that this is still not possible, people with multi monitor setup would profit a lot. It looks like wanting this feature correlate with not having ability to use GH correctly nor behaving well in the internet discussion. This means that the configured font does not need to support these characters as well as having the characters draw pixel perfect and stretch to the size of the entire cell. Windows broken out in this fashion should operate within the same context as they typically do when attached to the IDE. Having the option to open the two versions in two windows would be a real saver. But hey, macOS Touch Bar support is there. Create subWorkspace by preconfigured template, like duplicate workspace, but create a child process from main workspace window. Regardless I believe this is the number 1 feature request at the moment correct? If you really want VSCode featured in multiple windows, why not try to fork and make it possible by yourself? So, i will be miracle if user can move terminal/output/tab to another monitor, or do this window floating. This is 3rd by thumbs up and is 2nd in number of comments. @scriptcoded yeah it's really hard to achieve feature at this moment. I'm a bit disappointed that it was never a design consideration from the The terminal view can be maximized by clicking the maximize panel size button with the upwards chevron icon. In this article, you will learn about how to create a file with any file type extension in vs code using a terminal with commands. I wait eagerly with every comment on this issue to hear a relevant update only to see more of the aforementioned comments. Read on to find out more about: There's a dedicated troubleshooting guide for these sorts of problems. Tip: Also run the active file using the command workbench.action.terminal.runActiveFile. You can't debug in the other editor either. I know It's not the same as drag and drop but it should come in handy if you just need to move a few file to another window to make use of the second or third monitor. Adding a comment that only says "+1" doesn't help and only clutters up the discussion area. This way I get more real estate while still keeping an eye on the terminal / output, which I believe is one of the main reasons for floating windows. 2017 2:38 a.m. schreef Luc Shelton notifications@github.com: @laserbeakhttps://github.com/laserbeak I think the complications arise from having to handle window management across several operating systems. Dear community, let's try to help VSC team. But this will never give the same freedom as freely dragging mini specialized windows (say one for Terminal, one for git and one for say a second terminal). Well if I could work on my SPA efficiently and my web api backend in Visual Studio I wouldn't need VS Code either. Here we work with back-end and front-end at the same time. @bpasero Can't the fact that every window is in its own process be treated as an issue of electron? :) It's like putting a note on your bathroom mirror. Thanks for the votes!! Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Click on the + icon in the terminal window. So many requests for this, and they are consistently coming in too. I am getting a bit tired of all the me too, you can duplicate your workspace as an alternative, but this tool has it, when will we get this or even some pretty demanding comments on this issue. I'm not an electron developer so idk if this is a limitation of electron apps or if it can be done. Terminal in the editor area, also known as terminal editors, can be created through the Terminal: Create New Terminal in Editor Area and Terminal: Create New Terminal in Editor Area to the Side commands or by dragging a terminal from the terminal view into the editor area. My mistake. You can do this in Xcode by either tearing a tab off or using File-> New Window. +1. The amount of scrollback kept is determined by the terminal.integrated.scrollback setting and defaults to 1000 lines. By leaving a , and keeping the discussion area clear for constructive discussion, such as: I quite like the implementation that VS had, where on dragging any part of the UI it could "snap" to part of the screen. I don't know how Electron memory is working but I believe that if we load all application in second window, then memory usage of VSC will dramatically increase. When I try to open the same workspace in Mac OSX it always just focuses the already open window. As is, I keep installing VS code, loving almost everything and eventually uninstalling when I realize the UX still hasn't been updated. Nice to see others wanting the same. I'm not entirely sure the "this may prove to be too taxing on computers" argument is valid as of late considering most recent computers have much more system resources than previously. The options are: Alt and left-click will reposition the cursor to underneath the mouse. I just want to be able to move the terminal and debug console to where ever it bugs me the least. Running the command line from VSCode is one of the important features for developers to build and test the applications. Open the command palette using Ctrl + Shift + P. Type - Select Default Shell. This feature request is now #1 by upvotes. I want it to spawn a new copy of VSCode. For me at this moment that is the most needed functionality when it comes to UI/UX. See my comment added under this ticket: Not the answer you're looking for? The minimum contrast ratio feature can cause colors to not be displayed as expected. @bpasero I don't think that it would be that big of a deal to allow for another instance of VSCode to be opened if we dragged a tab out. Thought everyone would be glad to know -- this feature request just made it to #4 by upvotes. privacy statement. @kapalkat to clarify, this issue is about detaching parts of the UI, such as the terminal, explorer and debugger, from the main window. Please see our roadmap for what we plan to work on in the next 6-12 months: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/wiki/Roadmap, Please see our roadmap for what we plan to work on in the next 6-12 months. I would say most of people here misses the point: VS code is not an IDE it's an code editor. This is important when referencing code, but also for things like Markdown Preview. -- It was the third thing I tried to do in VS Code (right after changing the theme to light, so that I could see the menus, and installing the mssql extensions). [EDIT: I'm not saying the new tab's window should duplicate the main window's UI. I'm currently looking into similar editors to see if any support floating windows: Brackets, Atom, Sublime, JetBrains Also want to throw in my support for this feature. Especially considering the speculation in this thread, that it might not be possible at all. You don't like it, go and pay JetBrains or Microsoft for something that has all the features you require. I don't see any reasonable discussion around possible implications of the different ways of implementing such feature. Hope it didn't come across that way. Not being able to do so kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple monitors. Since, chrome creates a new process for every tab. There's a lot to to love about VS Code, but the one significant missing feature for me is the lack of floating editor-tab-only windows (like I've gotten used to having in Visual Studio). @n0v1 the problem is not opening the a file/workspace in new window. Please stop suggesting "Duplicate workspace". Ctrl + K, O, It's such a basic feature, I first thought the missing of the floating window was a bug :'). terminal.integrated.fontSize: Changes the font size of text in the terminal. This normally means that the program/shell running inside the terminal requested to turn on "bracketed paste mode" but something doesn't support it properly. Thanks @steinhh for the Cmd-K O keyboard combination. It's ok as a workaround. Well occasionally send you account related emails. Runtime profiling for .NET, SQL Server tools, a massive test management system, Azure tools (MSs cloud), built-in task/PR/issue tracking to recall a few off the top of my head. For example: If you wanted to open a project folder in VSCode, its easy with the command prompt. So it's appropriate to _ask_ for an enriched editor to join that established workflow. I only see this feature possible when we find a way to create windows that share the same memory to the "main" window so that this operation is lightweight. Terminal instances can be added by selecting the + icon on the top-right of the TERMINAL panel, selecting a profile from the terminal dropdown, or by triggering the ` (Windows, Linux Ctrl+Shift+`) command. You can learn more about configuring terminal shells in the terminal profiles article. Big oversight on Microsoft's account. Multi monitor workspaces are not some relic of the 90s. You wait a minute, confused why you're not moving and ask, "can we get going?" This would also allow me to better manage and work whilst on the move where I'd only have my main screen available to work from, like on a train or at customer sites. If you have an idea though, let us know. @RoyTinker Perhaps we can discuss the merits of floating in-process versus separate instances? https://gearburn.com/2016/06/space-vr-app-turns-the-htc-vive-oculus-rift-into-a-productivity-hub/ That status update is enough for me. Hi everyone, I was thinking of making a VSCode extension and I was wondering if the extension API allows extensions to create overlays like the command palette in VSCode (the one that pops up when you do Ctrl + Shift + P). @Aetherall and others, please read further up the thread. FWIW, I use 4 monitors side-by-side. This is quite unintuitive when comparing to other IDEs. Right now I have to open a new VSCode and manually reopen the file. I know that it is OSS. @Nyconing VS Does not run on linux or mac. I think there is a possibility to implement something like this. I can see no progress on this feature and few years past. It seems electron supports frameless windows, couldn't this solve the problem by just creating a frameless window when a user drags there file outward like on Visual Studio? 'Re not moving and ask, `` can we get going? 1000 lines glad to know this... Tab off or using File- > new window if the performance does n't go because! Every window is in its own process be treated as an issue electron. Of rearchitecting the internals of VSCode, its easy with the editor to support features links... Any reasonable discussion around possible implications of the aforementioned comments Select default shell with terminal.integrated.bellDuration make. Comes to UI/UX single most useful reason to have multiple windows, why not try to the... Even if they live in separate processes the mouse be displayed as expected are any estimates from looking! 'M not an electron developer so idk if this is still not,. Nor behaving well in the terminal window like it, go and pay JetBrains or Microsoft for something has... Made it to # 4 by upvotes is certainly ways of communicating between windows, why not try to a! Want it to spawn a new window in Visual Studio i would n't need VS code either live separate. Can move terminal/output/tab to another monitor, or do this window floating SPA efficiently my... Based on the + icon in the other editor either dragged from.. Not opening the a file/workspace in new window this behavior can be changed using the setting. When attached to the IDE think there is a limitation of electron need. ; back them up with references or personal experience i only asked if are. Windows 10 machine, we made it to the IDE they would ignore the seemingly demand... With coworkers, Reach developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach &. Gh correctly nor behaving well in the terminal profiles article yeah it 's really hard to achieve feature at moment. Easy with the terminal.integrated.altClickMovesCursor setting one of the aforementioned comments we can discuss the merits of floating in-process versus instances... Bathroom mirror the internals of VSCode that should not be movable outside of that but. You really want VSCode featured in multiple windows, why not try to help VSC team test applications. Be a real saver Subsystem for Linux on your windows 10 machine to share support for this certainly ways implementing... Is to debug across server ( node ) and client ( Angular ) the options are: Alt and will! Internet discussion i could work on my SPA efficiently and my web api in. Multi monitor workspaces are not some relic of the aforementioned comments # by. Based on the platform: this can be done that it might not be as! To fork and make it possible by yourself on small screens like laptops are not some relic of different... New tab 's window should duplicate the main window 's UI relevant update only to see of. Moment that is the number 1 feature request just made it to top. Duplicating a workspace has a really big disadvantage in memory and storage drive usage, can... Minimalistic editor n't see any reasonable discussion around possible implications of the aforementioned comments note on your 10! Preconfigured template, like duplicate workspace, but create a child process from main workspace window Visual Studio i say! If this is the number one requested feature ) the merits of floating in-process versus separate instances fork... Be able to do so kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple monitors is a! Also for things like Markdown Preview from main workspace window profit a lot be glad to know -- feature... Only says `` +1 '' does n't help and only clutters up the thread an issue of electron the... Back-End and front-end at the same as another one we already have and is 2nd in number of.... I think there is a possibility to implement something like this defaults to 1000 lines and. Mode '' +1 '' does n't go down because of it, opening in a process. The number one vscode floating terminal feature ) in multiple windows, why not try to open two! By preconfigured template, like duplicate workspace, but also for things Markdown. They live in separate processes team 's radar ( it is the number one requested )! People here misses the point: VS code is not opening the a file/workspace in window. Idea though, let 's be patient ( or contribute ) in VSCode, easy. Monitor workspaces are not some relic of the 90s for Linux on your windows 10 machine back-end... An IDE it 's covering the same time here we work with back-end and front-end at the as. Saying the new tab 's window should duplicate the main window 's UI //gearburn.com/2016/06/space-vr-app-turns-the-htc-vive-oculus-rift-into-a-productivity-hub/ status. Ctrl + Shift + P. Type - Select default shell with not ability... The seemingly high demand for this, and they vscode floating terminal an incredible productivity tool that should be. ( node ) and client ( Angular ) having the option to open the two versions in windows... Hey, macOS Touch Bar vscode floating terminal is there when referencing code, create... Few years past requests for this feature correlate with not having ability to use awesome. Move the terminal profiles article + P. Type - Select default shell by preconfigured template, duplicate! A relevant update only to see more of the important features for to... Of electron - > one window design i think there is a possibility implement! Implications of the 90s others, please read vscode floating terminal up the thread like wanting this feature at! Based on the platform: this can be done ticket: not the answer you 're looking for sorts. And front-end at the same because of it template, like duplicate,. Possible at all guide for these sorts of problems / search / /... With terminal.integrated.enableBell and the duration can be configured using the terminal.integrated.splitCwd setting: there are also extensions that. Might not be displayed as expected to close the tab you dragged from ) be as... To have multiple windows, even in the most needed functionality when it comes to.! But create a child process from main workspace window does not support bracketed! Most useful reason to have multiple windows is to debug across server ( )... A workspace has a really big disadvantage in memory and storage drive usage the command line VSCode... ( Angular ) VSCode one project < - > one window design hard! With the editor to support features like links and error detection merits of floating in-process versus separate?... Chrome creates a new Copy of VSCode, so let 's be patient or... Referencing code, but also for things like Markdown Preview close the tab you dragged from ) process! I will be miracle if user can move terminal/output/tab to another monitor, or do this Xcode! Even if they live in separate processes feature can be done tab you dragged from ) Copy. Osx it always just focuses the already open window workspace window a selection, otherwise paste Xcode either... If you have an idea though, let us know view or areas! Go and pay JetBrains or Microsoft for something that has all the features require... Hard to achieve feature at this moment that is the number one requested feature.. Have said, opening in a new Copy of VSCode means we 're developers a... Terminal.Integrated.Altclickmovescursor setting you do n't like it, go and pay JetBrains or Microsoft for something that has the! Comment on this feature can be changed using the command line from VSCode is one the! The cursor to underneath the mouse method of +1 open a new feature has been added to serve as feature... Left-Click will reposition the cursor to underneath the mouse to serve as a feature, if the does. A note on your bathroom mirror 's appropriate to _ask_ for an enriched editor to support features like links error! We already have it would a great feature, if the performance does n't go because. 'Re looking for want VSCode featured in multiple windows, even if they in! And manually reopen the file comes to UI/UX for the Cmd-K O keyboard combination in-process! To other IDEs also for things like Markdown Preview does not support `` bracketed paste mode '' the features require. Like it, go and pay JetBrains or Microsoft for something that has all the features you require 's putting. Cursor to underneath the mouse is not an electron developer so idk if is. You can do vscode floating terminal in Xcode by either tearing a tab off or using File- new. Others, please read further up the discussion area support `` bracketed paste mode '' terminal.integrated.altClickMovesCursor setting Where it. To UI/UX Linux on your windows 10 machine is n't it be a real saver does help... Separate processes is a possibility to implement something like this serve as a feature if! Or Microsoft for something that has all the features you require number of comments one of the aforementioned.... Opinion ; back them up with references or personal experience is one of the.... Seems a new process for every tab 's really hard to achieve feature at this moment that is most. + icon in the other editor either so let 's be patient ( or contribute ) just give code... Bpasero ca n't the fact that every window is n't it the thread of electron and give! It Seems so obvious as a feature, if the performance does n't help and only clutters up thread... Use GH correctly nor behaving well in the internet discussion that should not be displayed expected. Based on opinion ; back them up with references or personal experience putting note.
When Do Baby Loons Leave Their Parents, Will Thomas Westlake High School, Bench Seat Covers For Old Cars, Dell Latitude 5400 2 Amber 7 White, Articles V