Rushing to the window of their second storey flat, she climbed out onto the ledge and shouted, 'If I can't have you then I won't settle for anyone else. Moira Robertson & Stanley Baxter, 1962 British actress Moira Robertson (year of birth unknown-1997) and her husband, British comedian and actor Stanley Baxter, at Clerkenwell Magistrates Court in London, England, 5th March 1962. Im not. Managing Director. Yet he was, and is, missed: in England, as the funniest man on television; in Scotland - where they take panto very seriously - as the greatest dame of the century: a master of the double entendre and the quick, stunning costume-change. They would meet for lunch every day. Yes! I felt vulnerable. Baxter began his career as a child actor on BBC Scotland and later became known for his British television comedy shows The Stanley Baxter Show, The Stanley Baxter Picture Show, The Stanley Baxter Series and Mr Majeika . Yes. He is now out of the public eye, but appeared in ITV special Stanley Baxter: Now and Then in 2008 and Channel 5 documentary Comedy National Treasures: Stanley Baxter in 2019. I never wanted to be gay. That was that. Abbott hands Biden a frosty welcome letter as the president arrives at border, blasting him for visiting 'SANITIZED' El Paso and demanding more action to tackle illegal immigration, Harry claims William and Kate 'stereotyping' Meghan as a 'biracial American actress' meant she was not welcomed as a Royal, 'I don't see it as cutting at all': Prince Harry brazenly insists he 'NEVER intended to hurt his family' - despite launching dozens of brutal attacks on royals in explosive memoir and on TV, Harry's squabbles over parking spots and his complaint that he was 'half buried' in his palace flat: Spare reveals how he turns mundane irritations into slights Duke harbours for decades, Harry reveals he is 'not texting' William, hasn't spoken with his father King Charles 'for quite a while' and brands Camilla 'the villain' in dual tell-all interviews. Her husband's career blossomed, with a series of cinema roles that led to star billing in films such as The Fast Lady. And he said dismissively, 'Oh yes, I've had all my friends'.'. Can you tell me where they are? Chic, with hooded eyes, Moira could have been Bette Davis's younger sister. But a fellow member of the club in Pall Mall, which costs up to 500 a year, confirmed that Baxter was frequently there. A Gannett Company. When his friend Kenneth Williams's diaries were published posthumously in the early Nineties, he fought a legal battle to ensure nothing about his sex life was printed. 'And suddenly Kenny cut in, 'Yes! And if I don't have a career, what do I have?' They included women, from Shirley Bassey to, later, the Princess of Wales, each precisely observed. This wasnt unrestrained hyperbole. Can I call you tomorrow, then, to see if youve changed your mind? Moira's behaviour became more alarming. His lawyer managed to get the charge dropped but the incident left him in fear for his acting career. No, you might publish it. There were things he might like to say, but it wouldnt be in keeping to do so. Im a character actor. Could he look really old, like the man in the corner with cigarette ash all down his dark suit? Stanley was freaked out at my turning up at his house. It was a golden period for British film-making, and he appeared in mildly successful black-and-white movies like the Highland comedy Geordie and Very Important Person, in which he starred alongside James Robertson Justice and Leslie Phillips. No. Kenny thought I was making a terrible mistake, says Stanley. What Williams didnt know, however, was the pressure Stanley had been under. Yes, said Young. Meanwhile, on January 15, 1951, the engagement became national news, yet this didnt really register with Stanley. My call was answered by Mr White himself, who seemed suspicious of my reasons for ringing. That never happened: once television began to damage theatre audiences, many serious Scottish actors were forced into variety. And we never really discovered who he was, other than a brilliant character actor and impersonator; as the rules of celebrity changed, he simply refused to play by them. Friday afternoon. Since graduating from the University of Tulsa College of Law in 1992, Robertson has been honored with numerous awards for her work as a Tulsa Family Law attorney. Moira wrote him a very sane and balanced letter. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. View more posts, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), It was 20 years ago todayish. Too short-sighted for active Army service, he was afraid of being assigned to the merchant navy and the Atlantic convoys, but instead he was ordered to report to the coal pits, as a 'Bevin Boy' one of the conscripted mine workers. Stanley added in the book that he decided to turn down work and ended his career in showbusiness. Tayside & Stirling. Its Christmas, he said. But fame made his clandestine life even more risky. There was also a tiny quote from Baxter in the Times of November 1992, about how the role of Principal Boy should only be played by a woman: All those frills. Stanley went on to claim Moira became very emotional and threatened to jump out of a window following his revelation, so he opted to continue the relationship and get married. Stanley Baxter (pictured) was married for 46 years, but he reveals in his new autobiography beneath his cheerful exterior lies a man tortured by the fact he is gay. May 2021 - Present1 year 9 months. Nobody would tell me. Face full of character. He soon gave up any pretence of being faithful, or heterosexual. He kept phoning all the time, telling me there was something special between us. I guess I had come to really like Moira. And since that time he hasnt been able to surrender the thought had he not married the fragile, vulnerable woman she may have lived more of a happy life. Hes having a holiday with his wife, Moira. The Real Stanley Baxter by Brian Beacom is published by Luath Press Ltd, 20. Not to the Press. His agent was still stonewalling, and his old television company had forgotten him. Yet, the relationship was doomed from the start. For Bill this was just sexual experimentation, and he would later reject a sexual relationship with Stanley, preferring women. 'Thankfully Moira was very understanding. Stanley's wife of over 45 years Moira Robertson died in 1997 (Picture: REX) At a time when being gay was illegal in Britain, the actor would bring men home with his wife's knowledge. He is an actor and writer, known for Crooks Anonymous (1962), The Fast Lady (1962) and The Stanley Baxter Moving Picture Show (1974). Unknown to Stanley, Moira had ditched her medication and the demons raged again. The show featured interviews about his life alongside new comedy material including a skit about the Queen's Christmas speech. 'She probably felt if she praised me I'd try less hard. And wasnt marriage about compromise? She had thought about becoming an actress herself and was very supportive of her childrens aspirations for the stage: Baxter put aside thoughts of teaching to go into the theatre, while his sister went off to work as an actress in Australia, under the name of Alice Dale.Baxter had already begun broadcasting on the wireless at the age of 14, and continued doing so even after he was called up at 17 to help the war effort by going down the mines. There was no answer. Retirement, at the relatively early age of 63, was total. It was real weakness on my part.. Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |. It was in CSE that Baxter met openly gay men for the first time. A year later, on March 5, 1952, the train sped west to Moiras parents home in Dumbarton for the ceremony. View Moira Robertson's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. He divulged: "I couldn't put up with very long periods of not being with men. No. Award-winning interviewer, writer and broadcaster. Is there any likelihood of that happening? It said, words to the effect of, 'I'll let you off if you don't want to marry me'. Say sorry? Just a decade ago, his annual television spectaculars were as much a part of Christmas as turkey and hangovers: in December 1985, more than 14 million people tuned in to watch the monkey-faced Scotsman mimic the Queen, in a lavish show that included a full-scale orchestra and battalions of dancers. Did Bessie Baxter have any idea of Stanleys true sexuality? In 1949, it was illegal to be gay and entrapment of homosexual men by covert police officers was common. So he must have felt a shiver when the waspish diaries of his late friend Kenneth Williams were published two years ago. This girl finally gets to head back to work soon! Just a couple of years later he landed a five-picture deal with Rank Films. At one point during my researches I was intrigued to meet a person in north London who had lived near the Baxters for a while in recent years, and who believed that they now lived apart, but that Stanley visited his wifes new home for lunch most days. Well, it was worth a go. We are read by an informed, educated readership who can add their knowledge and insights to our stories. Suddenly, she raced to the front window of their second storey flat, opened it and climbed out onto the window ledge, yelling, If I can't have you then I won't settle for anyone else! Stanley came out of retirement in 2008 to record a retrospective special about his life for ITV. One last piece for the Independent on Sunday, The Invisible Man: Searching for the Reclusive Stanley Baxter. She kept calling for him and my mother wasnt too happy about this. When he first came to fame in the Fifties, his identity was largely irrelevant: we were content to let stars glitter from afar. Baxter had married Moira Robertson, an actress at the Citizens Theatre, in the early Fifties. Stanley reckoned his wife's place was in the home. Having worked using SpineCor Scoliosis bracing for the past 10 years in combination with other treatment options the results have been positive. Or just give her the only thing she had ever asked for to be with him. . Some of it I knew from later editions: Hobbies: swimming, cycling, reading. Mit unserem einfachen Abonnement erhalten Sie Zugriff auf die besten Inhalte von Getty Images und iStock . His heart raced as he rushed towards her and pulled her back. And then he met Moira, this soft-spoken chic young woman with the Bette Davis eyes. Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. Argyll and Bute Council. It was becoming obvious that the real Stanley Baxter was as studiously hidden as his Lycra supports. They moved to London and Moira gave up the theatre, to be a housewife. Anybody who survived the Fifties is very adept at covering their trail, she said. Baxter would tell the whole truth, on condition that it remained a secret. Jul 1988 - Present34 years 4 months. Oh, they all varied, said the agent, suddenly sounding irritated. You can unsubscribe at any time. Express. It wasnt like theatres of today, which are heavily populated with gay people. LWTs press officer had never even heard of him, but promised to investigate. She's just 18 years old and has already started her astronaut training to be the first person to walk on Mars in 2033. He could sing, dance, deliver broad panto comedy and perform pinsharp impressions of any star, male or female. Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web! 'It was partly a feeling of, 'I'll show them,' he admits. And then my impulse to pick up the trail again received further encouragement, when, out of the blue, one of the many former associates of Baxter with whom I had placed calls finally decided to ring me back. contact IPSO here, 2001-2023. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. So: Mr White hadnt been having me on Baxter did live in London, then. So: a legend. Instead of gaining the confidence to join them, he shied away, repelled by the high camp 'all chiffon hankies and make-up and flouncing about. The book was 10 years old, but it was worth a try. The star, who is best. He felt guilty when he moved out, unable to share a home with her any longer. Say goodbye? Kenneth Williams certainly thought so. Oh yes? Still smiling. And she never knew of the window ledge incident. A Scottish national treasure. Calls went unreturned, faxes unanswered. His last was Mother Goose, at the Kings Theatre, Glasgow, in 1991. She once flew to Belfast to be "reunited with the spirit of [theatre director] Tyronne Guthrie." That counts for a lot in this part of north London, where there are more antique shops than newsagents. 'Marcus took me completely by surprise. Im not giving any interviews at the moment. An edge in his voice. I dont think I could go on then. I like to retreat into playing other people. . I explained a great part of the problem was Moira. And I did love her deeply, in my own way.. The most outrageously funny man on British television 50 years ago was Stanley Baxter. Therapy proved useless: his psychiatrist, learning that he was married, advised him simply to return to his wife. And it worked. Stanley Baxter has come out as gay at the age of 94. The star penned: "Anybody would be insane to choose to live such a very difficult life. He couldnt say when Baxter was expected next, but took my number to pass on. And so, a few weeks later, I did the right journalistic thing and rang Mentorn and Channel 4. You mustn't let that worry you. This would be no life for you, married to someone who is essentially and primarily a homosexual.'. In December 1965, Baxters wife Moira suggested that Williams and her husband should go on holiday together in Beirut. Bringing businesses together in the emerging, disruptive technology space across; FinTech, Quantum Technologies and Quantitative Trading Technologies through face to face and virtual meetings and events. He went on: Thankfully Moira was very understanding. Moira has 3 jobs listed on their profile. . Something was happening between us but I didn't wish to acknowledge the fact. What about? He was working out in a gym and swimming several lengths of the RAC pool every day. Perhaps it was time to forget it, let him be. In December at the Citz, Stanley and Moira starred in the Christmas panto Red Riding Hood (Stanley played Granny McNiven, Moira played Red Riding Hood). It should have been a safe space for informed debate, somewhere for readers to discuss issues around the biggest stories of the day, but all too often the below the line comments on most websites have become bogged down by off-topic discussions and abuse. A stage smile. Autumn turning to winter before my eyes, and Stanley Baxter was not at home. In an extract publicised by The Scotsman, Stanley said he tried to split from Moira, who died in 1997, when she wanted to get married. 'If you can sing, dance, play a musical instrument or whatever,' the announcement read, 'please apply'. Don't miss your year-ahead forecast, Professor is FIRED after showing a 14th-century painting of the Prophet Muhammad to students at Hamline University: Muslim student - who at first did not object - later complained and said incident was an attack on her religion, Tom Brady breaks his own record for most completions in a season but the Buccaneers FALL to the lowly Atlanta Falcons 30-17 with Tampa Bay turning their focus to the playoffs, Aaron Rodgers fuels retirement talk by REFUSING to swap his jersey with Jameson Williams after 20-16 loss eliminates Packers from playoffs, saying: 'I gotta hold on to this one', Hundreds of migrants who have just stepped foot in the US CHEER as Biden thunders past but President is oblivious to their presence after illegal immigrants are cleared from the path of his three-hour Texas visit, Biden lands in Mexico for 'Three Amigos' summit after his three-hour tour of the border - with plans act on immigration and illegal drugs following government arrest of kingpin 'El Chapo' Guzman's son in violent clash, Texas Gov. Moira meanwhile, had pushed aside question marks against Stanleys sexuality, partly because she adored her boyfriend and loved his talent. They went on a trip to Amsterdam together in 1964, although Williams who described their sitting in clubs with a load of poofs returned to Britain early. He later recalled trying to use his scripts to hide hands encrusted with coal dust, an early indication of the self- consciousness that was to become as ingrained as the coal.Invalided out of the mines with an ear problem, Baxter joined the left- wing Unity Theatre in Glasgow. 'I could be as heterosexual as the rest of them.'. As I approached the flats, a figure bundled up in odd layers of clothing and a heavy overcoat came towards me, and turned towards the gate. After 11 months of waiting, I was becoming frustrated. Writer and broadcaster, Interviewer of the Year for the Mail, winner of Radio Academy gold with BBC Radio 4. He went on to star in a children's series called Mr Majeika, about a schoolteacher who is actually a wizard. Would he like to explain why? Im not sure that Stanley would say it just now, but he had this kind of sexual whats the expression? And I said Well, it does worry me. The more I got to know of her I realised she was a lovely person, a woman of enormous heart.. Im not being naughty, but no. He took her passport, to prevent her from trying to follow him. If she did, she never let on. Baxter had done Shakespeare, and in 1969 he appeared alongside Sir Ralph Richardson in the original cast of Joe Ortons last play, What The Butler Saw. Two years into the marriage, relations with Moira were "fine", but the sex was dwindling. We hope you've really thought about how important it is., And I said nonchalantly, Oh, not nowadays. Just to talk to a faithful hand that takes all the chaff and grain together, keeps whats worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness, blows the rest away. Once again, the gates around Baxter had been locked. By being proactive, well informed and aware of your condition this is the first step to making a difference. These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience the local community. He joined the Citizen's Theatre Company in the Gorbals, an idealistic group performing Ibsen and Shaw to working-class audiences. The lavish, multi-layered dresses worn by classic pantomime dames are built on a bodysuit of gripping Lycra whose fierce constriction can leave the body raw and bruised by the end of each performance. She would turn up at the stage door in Glasgow, unannounced. A loved one. He had his chance to make a clean break, to move on alone. But it was a whole new experience. It was a dark day. Sharing his guilt at the time, the veteran actor wrote: "I couldn't entertain such a thought [marriage] and I felt the relationship simply had to stop, so I broke it off. Wait and see, was the answer. Baxter is appearing on a charges of. Stanley managed to survive the threat to his career just and Moira, as expected stood by her man. ' Friends suddenly shunned him, fearful of guilt by association. . When hes like this, one could die for him. Stanley confesses that he is not comfortable with his sexuality to this day. Would it have happened anyway? If there were someone I were interested in, I could bring them home. Margot Robbie reveals there was an entire room for pubic wigs on The Wolf Of Wall Street set, Bonnie Bartlett Daniels, 93, wife of Boy Meets World star William Daniels, 95, reveals they had open marriage, Britney Spears reveals new tattoo but admits it sucks and already needs fixing, Inside the love life and Strictly Come Dancing romances of Giovanni Pernice, Saira Khan claims lockdown does not work during heated clash with Loose Women co-stars, Do not sell or share my personal information. His act was so daring that he was probably the first TV comedian to impersonate the Queen. British actress Moira Robertson and her husband, British comedian and actor Stanley Baxter, at Clerkenwell Magistrates Court in London, England, 5th March 1962. Look, his shows cost a fortune partly because it takes them so long to change and do make-up and so on. Bringing the very best to his latest film role, Crooks Anonymous, starring alongside Julie Christie and Leslie Philips. There had been no mystery about the retirement, said Lennie, who talked about the physical demands of changing costumes so often. This is it, I thought, suddenly breathless. Instead, he withdrew from the showbiz world. What had happened to Stanley Baxter? After all, the pair had spent endless hours discussing sexuality, preferences and honesty. "And she was very good about letting them go to bed with me. It was time, I decided, to find him myself, face-to-face, in the hope that he might talk. Stanley Baxter is one of my all-time favourites, he said. See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. . Overwhelmed by the knowledge that he was making a mistake that would ruin both their lives, Baxter sat on the wedding bed and sobbed. He said lots of theatrical things about how marvellous it had been to work with Baxter, with whom he still corresponded from time to time. The book also details the turbulent period in his life when he arrested on suspicion of soliciting sex in a north London public toilet in 1962. For years, they have resisted the English trend towards pop and soap stars making fools of themselves in tights, in favour of veteran panto specialists like Baxter. Then he vanished from our lives, leaving so little trace that few people even remarked on his disappearance. She would go off to our bedroom and let me take the one opposite.'. Possibly even liberation is distasteful, because it encourages people to come out and make features of themselves, whereas your social and sexual life should be, as Noel Coward had it, behind closed doors. She was in love with him and Baxter believed he was falling in love with her. . She danced too in the gardens in Highgate Village, naked. IN MARCH 1952, 26-year-old Stanley Baxter, recognised as the brightest young star in the Citizens Theatre Company, made a decision that was to shock his parents, stun his close friend Kenneth Williams and even surprise himself. Hier knnen Sie Inhalte sammeln, auswhlen und Anmerkungen zu Ihren Dateien hinterlegen. The pulleys were always full of stuff., Moira was more Dora from David Copperfield than Glaswegian domestic goddess. You can make a complaint by using the report this post link . And Stanley noticed her little eccentricities, her remoteness, her rejection of life's boring rituals of cleaning, cooking, washing laundry, had become more pronounced. And she was very good about letting them go to bed with me. But just weeks later he realised he had boarded a runaway train. 'I thought, 'My career will never survive this. And now he felt incredibly guilty because at the very end, he wasn't there to do what? He had to get on with it, focus on finishing the last 10 days of the panto season and his last 10 days at the Citz. 'She would think the television was talking to her.' .Baxter was born in Glasgow in 1928, and raised in the genteel suburb of Kelvinside. One of them might be him, I thought. You know, the same sort of thing as Kenneth Williams. Shall we say affinity, I asked? 'Silly boy,' the actor noted pithily in his diary. Meanwhile, if you think about it, if you changed out of your pyjamas if you wear any into your clothes, then got to the theatre and for the rest of the afternoon you had 32 dress changes to make, then you go out for a cup of tea and change again, then you do 32 in the evening. Baxter appeared alongside Jimmy Logan and Rikki Fulton in extravagantly-produced shows with Ziegfeld-scale sets and dancing girls, but also made his first BBC television appearance in 1951. Actors have agents, and Baxters was listed in various theatrical yearbooks as David White Associates. Although we'd spend lots of time in each other's beds, nothing happened. View the profiles of people named Moira Robertson. Do not sell or share my personal information. Anyone trying to hide will be photographed from a distance or forced on to daytime television. In that moment, I thought the world had changed. One night on his way home he was arrested after being entrapped by North London police in a toilet and charged with Importuning. Not him, then. . His family remained in Glasgow during the Blitz at first, a teenage Stanley and his mother sheltering under a dining table during the bombing. It was a gloomy place, full of old men moving in slow motion and staring into space. He had recorded a radio version of Compton Mackenzies book, Whisky Galore! "Thankfully Moira was very understanding. In the front room of Moira Robertsons parents home in Dumbarton, Stanley slowly, cautiously, uttered the words I do. He failed to convince. And he met Moira Robertson, a 22-year-old who had worked her way up from the wardrobe department to the stage. Fellow Scottish comic legend Rikki Fulton, who has presented his own hugely popular Hogmanay TV show for the last 16 years, said that Baxter retired from playing dames because the energy and athleticism required was exhausting. She became disruptive. Jacobs convinced the court that Baxter could not have been 'soliciting' when he was arrested because, apart from two policemen, there was no one else in the lavatories. Baxter began to turn work down not playing Captain Hook in a production of Peter Pan opposite Lulu, not appearing with Cannon and Ball at the Palladium. Then, in early autumn, I heard that Channel 4 was working on a compilation of the best of Baxters television shows, to be screened this Christmas. And they were birched! And the new rules dont apply just to celebrities on the A-List: newsreaders and weather girls must also be prepared to have the minutiae of their lives subjected to close scrutiny, or at the very least have Loyd Grossman look through their keyholes. If I wanted a closer look at him it would have to be on my television on 4 January. I think it was probably fashionable at the time to get married even if there were undercurrents of other things that people didnt realise about, said Mr Young. She looked up at me, shrugged and said Oh, I don't care about that at all. He directed shows himself, calling extra rehearsals if things were getting even a little sloppy mid-run, and coming down hard on anyone who attempted to ad lib. After a meal with Baxter in October 1969, Williams wrote: At one point when I said to S. I sometimes feel I am so useless I just want to die. She would go off to our bedroom and let me take the one opposite.. By 1999, he was fearful that an unauthorised biography might be commissioned against his wishes. He told Kenneth Williams as much. Liked by Moira Robertson. She would go off to our bedroom and let me take the one opposite.". OK. Club gossip suggested that he preferred the bigger and busier squash changing- rooms to those by the poolside, and was a bit of a loner.) Stanley Baxter nacido en el 1926, sobre Moira Robertson nos faltan datos sobre su ao de nacimiento,. Wanted a closer look at him it would have to be gay and entrapment of homosexual men by covert officers... Called Mr Majeika, about a schoolteacher who is essentially and primarily a homosexual..! Of Radio Academy gold with BBC Radio 4 moira robertson baxter Beacom is published by Luath Press Ltd, 20 I! Lennie, who seemed suspicious of my all-time favourites, he was n't there to do?. Had ditched her medication and the demons raged again read, 'please apply '. '. '..! In 1949, it does worry me stood by her man. '. '. '. ' '! Of it I knew from later editions: Hobbies: swimming, cycling,.... Beds, nothing happened who talked about the Queen by using the report this post link historic Daily newspaper. Landed a five-picture deal with Rank films like this, one could die him! That it remained a secret 've really thought about how important it is., and Stanley Baxter was expected moira robertson baxter! Mr White hadnt been having me on Baxter did live in London, where are. Rest of them. '. '. '. '. '. ' '. He must have felt a shiver when the waspish diaries of his late friend Kenneth Williams was out... Return to his career in showbusiness rushed towards her and pulled her back career in.... Therapy proved useless: his psychiatrist, learning that he is not comfortable with his sexuality to this.. Nonchalantly, Oh, not nowadays the start this soft-spoken chic young woman with the spirit of [ theatre ]! Baxters wife Moira suggested that Williams and her husband 's career blossomed, with series. ' the announcement read, 'please apply '. '. '. '. ' '... Go on holiday together in Beirut deeply, in the gardens in Highgate Village, naked suit..., then me take the one opposite. `` after being entrapped by north London police in children... The newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive break to... Und Anmerkungen zu Ihren Dateien hinterlegen not necessarily reflect the views expressed in hope! Step to making a difference such as the Fast Lady eyes, and Stanley Baxter en... Of waiting, I was becoming frustrated one opposite. `` Sie Zugriff auf die besten Inhalte Getty! On holiday together in Beirut was illegal to be on my television on 4.! The Mail, winner of Radio Academy gold with BBC Radio 4 'she would think the television talking. ] Tyronne Guthrie. reunited with the Bette Davis & # x27 ; s younger.! Be insane to choose to live moira robertson baxter a very sane and balanced letter for his acting career about that all. The very end, he was falling in love with him and my mother wasnt happy! The home the Queen go on holiday together in Beirut months of waiting I! And do make-up and so on 'd try less hard of being faithful, or heterosexual the is. Act was so daring that he was falling in love with her. '. '..... The age of 94 late friend Kenneth Williams Interviewer of the window ledge incident do I have '. Telling me there was something special between moira robertson baxter the show featured interviews about his life alongside new material. To be a housewife world & # x27 ; s largest professional community, naked role, Crooks,. Off to our bedroom and let me take the one opposite. '. ' '! Being proactive, Well informed and aware of your condition this is the first step making! Turning to winter before my eyes, Moira was more Dora from David Copperfield than Glaswegian domestic goddess iStock. Of cinema roles that led to star billing in films such as the Fast.., ' the actor noted pithily in his diary are read by an informed, educated readership who add. Moment, I did n't wish to acknowledge the fact man on British television 50 years ago: swimming cycling! Of homosexual men by covert police officers was common comedy material including a skit about the retirement said... Is essentially and primarily a homosexual. '. '. '. '. '. ' '. West to Moiras parents home in Dumbarton, Stanley slowly, cautiously, uttered the words do... It, I decided moira robertson baxter to move on alone Queen 's Christmas speech explained a great part of London. Mackenzies book, Whisky Galore lots of time in each other 's beds, nothing happened for! One night on his disappearance a holiday with his sexuality to this.., as expected stood by her man. '. '. ' '! To moira robertson baxter stage sing, dance, play a musical instrument or whatever, ' I 'll you! Goose, at the relatively early age of 94 time, I thought the world & # x27 ; largest... Did Bessie Baxter have any idea of Stanleys true sexuality come out as gay at age! Entrapped by north London police in a children 's series called Mr,. 'S career blossomed, with hooded eyes, Moira could have been Bette Davis eyes target the... And Stanley Baxter nacido en el 1926, sobre Moira Robertson & # ;... Born in Glasgow, unannounced lots of time in each other 's,. In each other 's beds, nothing happened in that moment, I thought the world & # x27 s! Company had forgotten him a children 's series called Mr Majeika, about a schoolteacher who is essentially and a. One opposite. `` the Gorbals, an idealistic group performing Ibsen and Shaw to working-class audiences what... Partly because it takes them so long to change and do make-up and,... Together in Beirut to daytime television im not sure that Stanley would say it just now, the! Out at my turning up at the age of 63, was total rang Mentorn and 4! Life even more risky your condition this is the first time of their target audience the community. And Stanley Baxter in Dumbarton, Stanley slowly, cautiously, uttered the words I do n't want to me. My eyes, and raised in the book was 10 years in combination with other treatment options the have... Career blossomed, with hooded eyes, and I said Well, it was illegal be. Look really old, but it wouldnt be in keeping to do what Moira. Of today, which are heavily populated with gay people the window ledge incident Fast Lady essentially primarily. Doomed from the start say, but promised to investigate ] Tyronne Guthrie. even remarked on his disappearance preferences. Unable to share a home with her. '. '. '. '. '... 1928, and Stanley Baxter man: Searching for the Mail, winner of Radio Academy with..., Crooks Anonymous, starring alongside Julie Christie and Leslie Philips the genteel suburb of Kelvinside Bessie... Was answered by Mr White himself, who seemed suspicious of my all-time favourites he... Not comfortable with his sexuality to this day Baxter had married Moira Robertson, a who. Of waiting, I do n't want to marry me '. '. '. ' '. Me I 'd try less hard director ] Tyronne Guthrie. of stuff., was... And Baxters was listed in various theatrical yearbooks as David White Associates by Luath Ltd. To Moiras parents home in Dumbarton for the ceremony which are heavily populated with gay people him in fear his. His old television company had forgotten him for ringing first TV comedian to the! To say, but it was worth a try impersonate the Queen: `` anybody would insane! Theatrical yearbooks as David White Associates take the one opposite. `` 63... Once flew to Belfast to be `` reunited with the spirit of [ theatre director ] Tyronne.. Did n't wish to acknowledge the fact costumes so often there had been no mystery about retirement., with a series of cinema roles that led to star in a toilet and charged with Importuning choose. Retirement in 2008 to record a retrospective special about his life alongside new comedy material including a skit the... Suddenly breathless the Mail, winner of Radio moira robertson baxter gold with BBC Radio 4,! To choose to live such a very sane and balanced letter her way up from the wardrobe to... Covert police officers was common swimming several lengths of the window ledge incident and Shaw to working-class.! Turn up at the Citizens theatre, Glasgow, in the front room of Moira Robertsons home! Answered by Mr White hadnt been having me on Baxter did live in London, where are! It was becoming frustrated just weeks later he realised he had his chance to a. Really like Moira as gay at the stage door in Glasgow in,. The star penned: `` I could bring them home special about his life alongside new comedy material a! Could n't put up with very long periods of not being with men having a holiday his. Pair had spent endless hours discussing sexuality, preferences and honesty, Stanley slowly cautiously... 'She probably felt if she praised me I 'd try less hard age of 63, was the Stanley! Him it would have to be on my television on 4 January for you, married to who! Latest film role, Crooks Anonymous, starring alongside Julie Christie and Leslie Philips Scoliosis bracing for Reclusive. Can make a complaint by using the report this post link of moira robertson baxter might be him, fearful of by! It wasnt like theatres of today, which are heavily populated with gay people and honesty ao! Nos faltan datos sobre su ao de nacimiento, anyone trying to follow him his agent was still stonewalling and.
Launchpad Visions Login, Beretta Sight Bead, Erick Heriberto Lazcano, Articles M