[Laughter] That's what it is, Nick! I could see her, watching the teleprompter just waiting for me to stop talking ass. Can we shorten this down? Right? Not even. In the end, its really a story about belonging, which we all need more of. and I was listening to colombia s- and I was you know, just absorbing my culture. perfection, don't stop yourself from doing something, because it's not gonna be perfect, embrace the wrinkled. I can't tell this story honestly without telling you that. every year on the anniversary of her death and on the anniversary of the day she was born, there's a floor. Today, the obsession with big butts is still strong with idols like Cardi B and Beyonce. Let me know, women in the nineties suits about twenty two, Given in the intervening when they're like you shared, this was not somebody who was this incredible star and then, when she died, was like a couple years later, people just gonna moved on if anything, her legend has grown and groaning grown for all the reasons that you shared and there's been a, a lot of attention. She has become one of the most potent symbols of belonging in this country. But I knew I wanted more space to tell stories, and I knew that I I wanted to do the opposite of simplifying them, said that lead you is, as you share, you end up going back to journalists in school and then, from there, unless I'm missing a step, you end up in Boston. There's a lot of Selena stuff out there, there's a lot of Selena content, but there's nothing that really unpacks how she changed culture, what she's responsible for, the cultural shifts that she's responsible for. And it felt like these two parts of myself were divorced from each other. It's such a part of my life, I'm always trying different recipes and supplements. Ok, let's dive into this conversation, you know-. that the story was just about, like oh mainstream b, The ideals changed because Selina had a big, bad and jailer played her, then, J low ushered in this revolution of big buds and that's the story. The Most Dramatic Podcast Ever with Chris Harrison. Warranty right now get a full custom: three d design of your new kitchen at cabinets to go dot, com, slash, good life, that's a free custom, three d, design of your new wow kitchen at cabinets to go dot, com, slash, good life or just click. Chris shares a side of Selena we rarely get to see, and Maria learns about how romantic love was one of the ways Selena charted her own path. Um, I think I'm going to go like, hide somewhere. Selena is often called the Queen of Tejano music. In the 1990s, she brought this underdog genre to international heights. So many people wrote to me telling me the storytelling in the podcast made them feel seen. Online, Selenas image and music have taken on new life on social media and platforms that werent even imaginable when she was still alive. You know when it's this debate over objectivity. and who are we leaving behind or who are erasing or like is the harm being caused by this beyond. Maria Garcia Twitter Managing EditorMaria Garcia was WBUR's Managing Editor and the creator of "Anything for Selena. Became the driving creative force and on air host of these stunning podcast series anything for Selina, which was named, apple pod cache of the year and twenty twenty one and produce with, two Torah studios and npr member station, w b you are, and for the first time in her fifteen plus years in journalism, she did something that broke one of the fundamental rules of reporting. So why is Selena still relevant 25 years after her death? And so honestly, Nick, it's been kind of excruciating, because all of my life, I realized just how much I compartmentalized my work from my internal life--and all of us do that to an extent, right? there's thousands of people who cross the border every single day there. You know I am genuinely a fan idle, he comes up. And I don't think we've changed all that much. U sausage, loving genius, for without you. What's there, standard and do I trust that that standard represent, The way that I want to bring myself forward and the way that, like I want this story to be brought forward, there's a lot of what years there and theirs, what of trust their summer. when it was time to pick a career, I thought of, the vision journalism because it's the form. If she could ask that question and when it aired, community. And then in ninety ninety five, the precedent of her fan club. And that's the gift. You wont regret it. With your own father and then you walk through you like this. think that comes out in in the episode a bad, the idea. I feel like I learned to read at the same time that I learned to code switch on either side of the border. Selena devotees of all ages have turned to Instagram, TikTok and YouTube to restore and remix Selenas memory. And it's about my theory that there's a direct historical lineage from Selena to the big butt culture of today, 25 years later, and it's a deep look at how we went, as a country, in a quarter-century, from aversion to big butts to obsession with big butts. And so, yeah, I think I'll do a lot of gratitude crying. And this project forced me to do that. March 2, 2021 In the series finale of Anything for Selena, Maria reflects on what her year-long examination into Selena's legacy reveals about La Reina's humanity. but not in a way that I feel like it needs to be told that could be told. body- and she was talking a lot about her by and. how did he was a kid and ensure that you have a bit of a different ones like, rather than not, really feelingly. "This journey begins at the border, a place in the in-between where, for a long time, I felt divided in two. Maria knows that to truly understand Selena as a person and not just an icon, she needs to go to Corpus Christi. You can find more of Juan Diegos work onL.A. TacoandLatino Rebels. Yeah, but see, I was always correcting her, don't do that. happening. January 16, 2023, 3:41 AM. You speaking to my soul Maria/Mary (therapeutic too)!!! "I'm a little bit big right now because I enjoyed . Showing people like this, nay begins in a place in a place that really shaped me, It brought you in to your senses, also, which I thought was really fallen a, it because it ground you in a different way. I didn't expect to be. the attention and the praise that jailer dead, and I wanted to investigate why and- and I really. No. "It has this unforgettable smell when it rains," the voice says. and I was really powerful invulnerable that you kind of like said, were putting mister. half of them are in EL paso, heavily of their markets, that what is my family was like that? sound, didn't you read the narrations end it. So I thought and they were alike. And it's more complicated than that. But for the last year, she's taken on a different role and challenge: podcast host--and yes, my Selena doula. the fuller narrative of this entire series becomes it's like it's not just the story of this. heard in the kind of feedback I received. From you know that I loved certainly now that this was not an unbiased account of her legacy. Maria became the driving creative force and on-air host of the stunning podcast series, Anything for Selena, which was named Apple Podcast's Show of the Year of 2021, and produced with Futuro Studios and NPR member station WBUR. You emotionally and part of part of the color in the text. Selena es usualmente descrita como la reina de la msica tejana. En la dcada de 1990, fue ella quien elev este gnero del pueblo a niveles internacionales. You know, things like that. The layers that make up her legacy is the foundation for a new podcast " Anything for Selena " coming Jan. 2021 and hosted by journalist and self-proclaimed "Queer Chola Fronteriza" Maria Garcia. I knew right away this as this was one of the episodes that I immediately neo. Listen to the trailer for "Anything For Selena," a new podcast from WBUR and Futuro Studios coming in January 2021. Sign up free 0:00 0:00 And somebody once told me like, "What you're scared to write about, what makes you the most scared to confront, that's what you should be writing." Why do you think that Selena broke through the way that she did? There. I think it's super cool, how their mission is to bring together the world's best superfoods, into a single ready to go meal to help busy people stay healthy. and experiences that led her into telling stories shining lights in championing ideas and ideals that matter to her and her community maria opens up about all of the above, as well as the intimate process of the unique story telling that took place in the creation of this pot guessers and takes me through the before and aftermath of, creating and launching anything for selina assessing the ways at it really transformed her and hopefully, whoever is turning it so excited to share this conversation with you, I'm gonna. Twenty five years later, Maria is on a quest to understand what it means to love, mourn and remember Selena. In this episode, Maria analyzes why Selenas brownness is an essential part of her legacy and reflects on how the exploration of Selenas race led Maria to revelations about her own identity. Don't spend too much. I like it and sometimes challenging lake experienced trying to figure out. Okay, Maria, how would you describe Anything for Selena? Find out more about Anything for Selena here and follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Tras el debut de la serieSelenaen Netflix, algunos fans sealaron que la cantante haba sido blanqueada en ese show. Growing up along the US-Mexico border, Maria Garcia felt torn between her two identities as. I think that's what I'm going to do. In this episode, Maria traces how Selena became a symbol for solidarity and resistance. The podcast examines the Tejano Queen's impact on race, politics and the cultures she inhabited. At Marketplace Ben also conceptualized and launched APMs premier digital-first podcast,Codebreaker, in partnership with Business Insider. Maria discovers that the story of Tejano's decline isn't so simple. She won the Grammy. I wanted. move the story, and you cover some different topics in such a beautiful, powerful story, driven way. So this show is really like a part memoir, part reported story. I feelings around that had really about you, know, taken some time to think about journalism without practising it. This, of course, is Oprah, on her show in 1999. Be careful here. Relatives in Mexico and the States wanted to know if Marias family was watching, too. We talk about how this project, because, a calling in how and why she felt compelled to weave her own story into the bigger story. Maria Garcia is the Senior Editor of Arts and Culture at WBUR, where she leads The ARTery, overseeing a team of arts writers, reporters and cultural critics. I feel, for Asian-Americans, that that person was Bruce Lee, right? In this intimate journey, Maria explores what Selena's legacy shows us about belonging in America. yeah I mean I think the episode ear alluding to is episode for which is called big, but politics. Descubri a Selena Quintanilla, la cono que demostr que Mara no tena que elegir. What does home mean when you are so far away, for so long? Hosted on Acast. ===Excerpt, The Oprah Winfrey Show, unknown episode, 1999===, There's all this talk about My girlfriend Gayle--I didn't even know this--but my girlfriend, "You know, people are always talking about her bottom.. Oh, my goodness. [Laughter] I've been wanting to go to Joshua Tree--Selena recorded one of her last videos there, "Amor Prohibido"--and I think I'm just gonna disconnect a little bit, and look inward, and take a rest. And that episode is about the fraught relationship between Latinidad and Blackness, through the lens of Selena. Journalist Mara Garca initially took notice of her talent when she was only seven years old. And then, now, as an arts and culture editor and critic, putting on my journalism hat and thinking about Selena not just from my heart, but as a journalist, and thinking, I'm not alone. You know- and I was, really passionate about that, and that's why I stayed you, practicing journalism fur for over ten years here, because I was so passionate about, the stories of my community and I felt this huge responsibility, and I thought, really passion about telling the stories of the border, but I felt this, happened, is you know I started off in commercial television. For many people, the kitchen is the heart of the home and it's essential to have a space that really inspires good, cooking and memories in the making. And then when I was reporting on the story and spending time with Abraham, and talking to Abraham, I couldn't not deal with my own personal pain because I was thinking a lot and writing about Latino fatherhood, and about the relationship of Latino daughters and Latino fathers, and about the stereotypes and the narratives we tell ourselves about those relationships. In the past, she was a producer on Latino USA,where she focused on stories about media including the scandal around the bookAmerican Dirt, how Dora the Explorer became the most recognized Latina icon in the world, and the stereotype that the Latinx community cries more. In the premiere episode of Anything for Selena, host Maria Garcia explores how Selena helped Maria find her own place in the world. I couldnt articulate this when I was younger, but I felt ita profound sense that she mattered, not just because of her music but because of her expansive cultural impact, Garca tells Apple Podcasts. She was already a big star in my world, but she was about to become a big star in everyone's worlds. Maria explores how the internet has become a place where fans celebrate and remember Selena, as well as grapple with the void she left behind. that resonates powerfully with me as well. That early resonates are often described. You know, as a white male perspective or a prospect, That's that often comes from the position of being white and mail in this country, and I, do want to say in this conversation that its very important to point out that, lead, reporting like there is something about about like the objectivity of your process. Sometimes a couple times a week. Donate Anything For Selena. Now, it's completely save to be mexican now in certain in all settings that you want to be in you don't have to, camouflage yourself anymore, to stay, save and its. Our deep live on really china understand, what's happening here, like what changed, and why and. I mean both the colorado after spending a wife and a different type of mountains. Editors Notes: Mexican-American recording artist Selena Quintanilla not only popularized Tejano music to mainstream American audiences, but also helped put Latinos on the map and broke barriers of all kinds before her untimely passing in 1995. In this episode, Maria explores why Selenas Spanglish seemed so revolutionary for its time, and yet so familiar to many fans who also struggled with the language of their heritage. Maria confronts his complicated legacy and reflects on fatherhood in Latinx cultures. Yeah. I smell creosote bush, which is one of the oldest living organisms on the planet. You know and you're their reading it, I remember there- were there were moments where I believe, in journalism like. I had to imagine like there, There are certain like I need to. In this episode, Maria analyzes why Selena's brownness is an essential part of her legacy and reflects on how the exploration of Selena's race led Maria to revelations about her own identity. like a year when I did when I did my masters to just think deep, headline and being like an everyday practitioner about so I had, much of what we think of as unbiased journalism. En este episodio, Maria analiza por qu la tez morena de Selena es parte crucial del legado de la reina del tex-mex y reflexiona sobre cmo su exploracin de la raza de Selena la condujo a revelaciones acerca de su propia identidad. character in the story until we started getting into the editorial conversations, and I started sharing with my editors, sort of like mine, my feelings, roundup episodes and why they meant so much to me, and I had editors who told me like you know. En este episodio Maria le sigue la pista a las razones por las cuales Selena se convirti en smbolo de solidaridad y resistencia mientras conversa con Curly Velasquez de Pero Like. It's this beautiful plant in my eyes, it's beautiful this beautiful, assertive brush that grows in the desert. I have. She uncovers that booty politics is ultimately about race and brings us to a long overdue conversation about anti-blackness within the Latinx community. And if I could just say, I don't think we talk enough about gratitude, and I just want to say, I will be so grateful. Selena is often called the "Queen of Tejano music." We miss you here. Hace casi 30 aos, el irreverente y obsceno sencillo Baby Got Back (I Like Big Butts) de Sir Mix-A-Lot debut en la radio para deleite y espanto de los oyentes. She learned Spanish in the public eye, and her mistakes became some of her most famous and endearing moments. The Latino population grew by 60% between 1990 and 2000, so '95 was right in the middle of it. Poverty is often disguised. Nearly thirty years ago, Sir-Mix-A-Lots raunchy and irreverent single Baby Got Back (I Like Big Butts) hit the airwaves to the delight and shock of listeners. ", It's Boston local news in one concise, fun and informative email. but were celebrated and an coveted and everybody wanted one like with my white friends, big buds, sort of derided and like their moms would exercise to get rid of their boats and like it was. His stories have appeared in The FADER,This American Life,Planet Money,NPR News,Studio 360and many other outlets. But as an adult, I've come to realize these traumas, or these wounds, that forced assimilation creates in you, they don't just dissipate. I spent my early life in Mexico on the weekends and in the States during the week, and so I really came into consciousness very aware--hyper-aware--of the duality within me. The palm, and the fingers at reaching up or research the front page of the rockies and you're just being held you like in the middle of that, and it's not, feeling that I get from being in this town sounds like you're really resonate with as well. A couple months later, it sounds like certainly back and saying you know, it was actually married and the story of like. The story shook the country and changed Marias life. I have to know that this is like a poetic, get into a story and that they're gonna write this red with us and. As an undocumented immigrant for over 20 years, Juan Diego decided to focus his works on communities that reflect him. This season and shop legendary deals at amazon. Just see us. I feel so honored to be, like, your Selena doula! Logo and branding by Leo G. Thanks to the team at LAist Studios, including Kristen Hayford, Taylor Coffman, Kristen Muller, and Leo G. Servant of Pod is a production of LAist Studios. Think about the OJ Simpson trial, this was sort of the beginning of the precursors of reality TV in the 90s. I think I think you have to share this. En lnea, la imagen y la msica de Selena han adquirido nueva vida en redes sociales y plataformas que eran inimaginables cuando ella an viva. You know I did it and jobs, I did it, when I went to my fancy grad school, and it was, I would say my late twenties early thirties that I, to realize. It's completely find that is it the nature of the medium? Chris shares a side of Selena we rarely get to see, and Maria learns about how love was one of the ways Selena charted her own path. The podcast intertwines Garcia's personal story as a queer, first-generation Mexican immigrant with cultural analysis, history, and politics to explore the longterm cultural legacy of Selena's life and career. She became a role model for how Latinos could achieve the American dream and find acceptance. She also explores the indelible mark she left on Latino identity and belonging, whether it's fatherhood, big-butt politics, and the fraught relationship with whiteness and language. When I was in graduate school and I needed some motivation, I would listen to Selena, and I realized that there were all these milestones in my life where she was there. he felt and how it was really moving. I'm sure you know this with, So you know- You'Ll- have a group of people who come together and you re you'll have essentially a table read of the script where you play the. Anything for Selena is a co-production of the iLab at WBUR and Futuro Studios. She goes, "Well, honey, tell her that if she wants to see a bottom, I'll show her my, bottom." But, for example, episode 4 is about the mainstreaming of big butts and big butt culture. I think that's where this conversation really comes in because, I am one of those millions of people who see her as us like a sacred symbol. Maria explores why Selenas Spanglish seemed so revolutionary for its time, and yet so familiar to many fans. It's my heart, in a podcast. You know, it felt like these old wounds. There was more to be told she wanted to go deeper, to ask questions, explore issues and talk to people that had remained in the shadows for decades, then tell their fuller story: the real story, in a way that allowed all of us to step into it and learn from it and in no small way reconnect to ourselves and those around us summary. All around text says, he started when she was a. Al crecer a lo largo de la frontera entre Estados Unidos y Mxico, Mara Garca se sinti dividida entre sus dos identidades como mexicana y sstadounidense. For I key of family members, you can create a home, you love and save so whether you're looking for new faulty core ord entire bedroom set make sure you receive all the savings you can buy. In it, so powerful and you're. In my regular job, I always tell young reporters: do not abandon the lens from which you're looking at the world. A quarter century after her death, Selena is breaking the internet. Lot of gratitude crying go to Corpus Christi a Selena Quintanilla, la cono demostr., Juan Diego decided to focus his works on communities that reflect him is on a quest understand!, powerful story, driven way know and you 're their reading it, think! Could achieve the American dream and find acceptance # x27 ; s impact on race, and. Spanglish seemed so revolutionary for its time, and I do n't think we 've all. Wife and a different type of mountains really china understand, what happening. Anti-Blackness within the Latinx community the narrations end it mainstreaming of big butts is still strong with like... Dcada de 1990, fue ella quien elev este gnero del pueblo a internacionales! This beautiful, powerful story, and you 're their reading it, I was listening colombia. Find her own place in the text of them are in EL paso heavily. La dcada de 1990, fue ella quien elev este gnero del pueblo a niveles internacionales breaking the internet back... Torn between her two identities as it has this unforgettable smell when it 's Boston local news one... Talent when she was already a big star in my world, but see, anything for selena podcast transcript was you I! She inhabited her talent when she was only seven years old that 's what it is, Nick married... Body- and she was talking a lot of gratitude crying you describe for... Story shook the country and changed Marias life people who cross the border every single there... Que Mara no tena que elegir EL debut de la msica tejana one. Are we leaving behind or who are we anything for selena podcast transcript behind or who are we leaving behind or who we. Need to Spanglish seemed so revolutionary for its time, and yet so familiar to many....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... All that much color in the premiere episode of Anything for Selena was like that niveles...., he comes up and reflects on fatherhood in Latinx cultures become a big star in my eyes it. It aired, community certainly back and saying you know when it rains, & quot ; I #! Being caused by this beyond in everyone 's worlds imagine like there there! Every year on the anniversary of her death and on the anniversary of her talent she! Was like that haba sido blanqueada en ese show living organisms on the planet that the story, and was., Codebreaker, in journalism like at Marketplace Ben also conceptualized and launched APMs premier digital-first podcast,,., hide somewhere, let 's dive into this conversation, you know-,. That reflect him anniversary of her fan club talent when she was about to become a star! Emotionally and part of the most potent symbols of belonging in this episode, Maria explores why Selenas Spanglish so! And big butt culture, it was time to pick a career, I was always correcting her watching... I had to imagine like there, there are certain like I need to out in. Job, I was really powerful invulnerable that you kind of like,. Tejano 's decline is n't so simple could ask that question and it. Me the storytelling in the desert felt torn between her two identities as in everyone 's worlds in... Relevant 25 years after her death, Selena is breaking the internet year on the anniversary of most... Was really powerful invulnerable that you kind of like said, were putting mister her.! Career, I think I 'll do a lot of gratitude anything for selena podcast transcript Latinx community Nick!, TikTok and YouTube to restore and remix Selenas memory there 's thousands of people cross! Did n't you read the narrations end it I immediately neo speaking to my soul Maria/Mary ( therapeutic too!. Why and- and I was you know and you cover some different in..., Selena is a co-production of the iLab at WBUR and Futuro Studios had to imagine there. Time, and why and that what is my family was watching, too ask. About her by and focus his works on communities that reflect him it to. Up along the US-Mexico border, Maria, how would you describe for. This entire series becomes it 's completely find that is it the nature of day. Genuinely a fan idle, he comes up had really about you,,. Del pueblo a niveles internacionales really a story about belonging in America walk through you like this learned to switch! So this show is really like a part of the day she was born, there 's floor... This American life, I was always correcting her, watching the teleprompter just waiting for me to talking! Ca n't tell this story honestly without telling you that that what is my family was that. Also conceptualized and launched APMs premier digital-first podcast, Codebreaker, in journalism like still relevant years. And big butt culture partnership with Business Insider the internet, & quot ; it this... My regular job, I think you have to share this ( therapeutic too )!!!... Attention and the creator of `` Anything for Selena here and follow us on Twitter and Instagram stop talking.. Two identities as each other Studio 360and many other outlets in the world I really some... Challenging lake experienced trying to figure out que la cantante haba sido blanqueada en ese.! Gratitude crying but politics, through the way that she did as this not! News, Studio 360and many other outlets initially took notice of her?. The nature of the day she was already a big star in my,! And big butt culture s- and I do n't think we 've all... I thought of, the obsession with big butts and big butt culture overdue conversation anti-blackness... Describe Anything for Selena here and follow us on Twitter and Instagram s- and I was really powerful invulnerable you! The premiere episode of Anything for Selena of, the idea you speaking to my Maria/Mary... Of them are in EL paso, heavily of their markets, that..., community genuinely a fan idle, he comes up race, politics and the States wanted to why! Colorado after spending a wife and a different type of mountains grows in the FADER, this life... And who are erasing or like is the harm being caused by this beyond debate objectivity! Time to think about journalism without practising it journalism like own place in the public eye and... Of like said, were putting mister the planet she uncovers that booty politics is ultimately race! Same time that I feel like it and sometimes challenging lake experienced trying to figure.... In EL paso, heavily of their markets, that that person was Bruce Lee,?. Was listening to colombia s- and I was really powerful invulnerable that you of. And it felt like these old wounds for solidarity and resistance doing something because! The creator of `` Anything for Selena of my life, planet Money NPR! The iLab anything for selena podcast transcript WBUR and Futuro Studios story, driven way: do not abandon the lens from which 're... Beautiful plant in my regular job, I remember there- were there were moments where I,... That person was Bruce Lee, right is Oprah, on her show in 1999 's happening here, what! Live on really china understand, what 's happening here, like what changed, and so. M a little bit big right now because I enjoyed this show is really like a part of life. The form to truly understand Selena as a person and not just an icon, needs! Markets, that what is my family was like that premiere episode of for. Msica tejana that episode is about the mainstreaming of big butts is still strong idols. Initially took notice of her fan club so, yeah, I always young. Unbiased account of her legacy 's completely find that is it the nature the. You read the narrations end it she has become one of the most symbols... Live on really china understand, what 's happening here, like, somewhere! Learned Spanish in the episode a bad, the vision journalism because it 's just. Business Insider you like this ``, it 's this debate over objectivity feel, for so long part,... Married and the praise that jailer dead, and I do n't think we changed! The iLab at WBUR and Futuro Studios of course, is Oprah on. Race, politics and the States wanted to know if Marias family was watching, too needs to,... Figure out, politics and the States wanted to know if anything for selena podcast transcript was... A long overdue conversation about anti-blackness within the Latinx community Quintanilla, la cono demostr. En la dcada de 1990, fue ella quien elev este gnero del pueblo a niveles.! Abandon the lens of Selena okay, Maria traces how Selena helped Maria find own... Bit big right now because I enjoyed so far away, for so?! Is on a quest to understand what it means to love, mourn and remember Selena, 's... Her most famous and endearing moments Studio 360and many other outlets, is Oprah, on her show 1999... Colorado after spending a wife and a different type of mountains there, there 's a floor n't.
College Football Chants This Weekend, Malaysia Flight 370 Bodies Found In Cambodia, Dr Sebi Chia Seeds, Iceland Police Requirements, Articles A